Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win98SE startup error message

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 kerux

kerux

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:04 PM

My son came home from college & did something to my computer while downloading network utilities. Now whenever I start up I'm getting an error message that either the registry or system info list a file (nvnwlink.vxd) that is missing...etc. I have to use a keystroke to clear the message and continue startup...not a huge problem, but irritating. How do I clear this file listing from the registry safely?

Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 31 December 2004 - 01:24 PM

There may be a couple of ways to go about that, depending on your level of ability.

The first way would be to go into your windows registry and delete any keys that call that .vxd.(a virtual device driver). Of course, you should always back up the registry before tinkering with it.

Another way would be to download a program like WinPatrol:http://www.winpatrol.com/winpatrol.html
Once installed, there is a tab that lists all start-up applications. See if there is anything in there that matches the .vxd that you are getting an error about, and disable it there. WinPatrol is a nice program to have running on your system anyway (IMHO)

Another way would be to go into you msconfig and disable it there, buit I am not a fan of disabling apps from there. All that is really doing is blocking the application from trying to start, and doesn't really take care of the problem.

If all else fails, posting a HJT log may help us determine what is causing it to try and start.. it doesn't usually show VXds (that I can think of), but it may help narrow down where the cause may be.

Let us know what you would like to do. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users