Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq Laptop Wont Startup (bluescreen)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Banks

Banks

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:59 PM

*sighs*

Ok I have a Compaq laptop, and it wont start. I turn it on and it goes straight to this black screen that says

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
COmmand Prompt

Start Windows normally

ANd yeah...you guys know what screen Im talking about. And Ive tried clicking every one of those options and everytime it acts like its starting up then it goes to this bluescreen, and I cant really see what it says because it goes up for like 1 second, which is really stupid. How do I fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:02 PM

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed? If so, there'll be an entry to disable automatic restarts. Select this. The next time it reboots it'll stop on the Blue Screen and you can write the info down.

If not, then try "last known good configuration". If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode. If you're able to get into Windows, let us know and we'll help to turn off the automatic restart so you can grab the error message.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Banks

Banks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

bump

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:48 PM

You could boot to the XP CD and do a repair or even install over top of the current installation.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:06 AM

I have come accross this issue many a time. Normally it is due to a damaged lssas.exe file. This is needed for windows to load a user profile. If it can't do it then it will restart. I have never found a fix for this. I use a boot CD to take all of the data off and reload windows. I would also advise running a check on the HDD as it is most likely be due to a bad sector on the drive.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#6 Banks

Banks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:57 PM

Do you have Service Pack 2 installed? If so, there'll be an entry to disable automatic restarts. Select this. The next time it reboots it'll stop on the Blue Screen and you can write the info down.

If not, then try "last known good configuration". If that doesn't work, try Safe Mode. If you're able to get into Windows, let us know and we'll help to turn off the automatic restart so you can grab the error message.

Allright I know what your talking about. Ill do that, and Ive tried Last Known Configuration, Safe Mode, EVERYTHING none of them work. I even went to safe mode then pressed F8 and rebooted it, and it didnt do anything, it just went back to the black screen that says Safe Mode, Start Windows Normally, etc. Ill look to see if I Have the repair disc.

#7 Banks

Banks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:10 PM

bump

#8 Banks

Banks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:38 PM

Allright I disabled the automatic restart and I wrote down what the blue screen says.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a nerw installation, ask yoiur hardware or software manufactureer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as catching or shawdowing. If you need to uuse Safe Mode to removie or disable compenents, restart your computer, press f8 2 select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

Technical infoormation:

*** Stop: 0x0000000ED and then it has all kinds of numbers and zeroz

But how am I supppose to do any of this If safe mode doesnt work?

#9 joe_schlabotnik

joe_schlabotnik

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 05:58 PM

I think you have a bad HD file system.. I'd get a boot disk and see if you can go to C:\ after booting in a:]

Either way, here is the explanation of your BSOD:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=297185&sd=RMVP
Ya know, this stuff is fascinating, yet irritating

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:19 PM

Go to the website of the hard drive manufacturer and download their free, bootable diagnostic tools. Then scan the drive with them to see if it's the drive that's bad.

If the drive isn't bad, then you can try repairing the boot files with the Recovery Console or with a repair install of Windows XP: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users