Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Login Problems

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 YellowAmigo

YellowAmigo

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

I have a pc on our company network that I am having trouble logging on with. When you first turn the computer on it comes to the windows XP login screen. On the attempt to login you receive a windows system error message block. The block has a red circle with an x in it and the message "A duplicate name exists on the network". This is of course not the case as all of our associates have individual and exclusive names. You get this no matter who's login name you try from this computer. After you get this message you have to reboot the machine to attempt to get on again. If I unplug the network cable I can log into the computer and plug the cable back up and all network functions seem to work, except the associate does not show up on the network computer list.

This computer is a Dell Dimension 1100 with a Celeron D processor.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

I've had similar (although not identical) problems caused by renaming an account. The original account name stays in XP (check the profiles in Documents and Settings) - yet the change is reflected all over the local computer.

When trying to access a workgroup the same problem occurs. Creating a new account from scratch (and deleting the old one to prevent re-using it) fixes the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:53 AM

This is more likely to be refering to the Computer name itself. Each will have to have a unique name on the network. Try changingthe name of the laptop. This should resolve the issue. This normally happens when doing a Ghost build of a machine and not removing the Computer network details using sysprep.
I hope this helps.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users