Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"services And Controller App" Error At Startup!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Red_Scorpion

Red_Scorpion

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

Hello,

I have an error pop-up when i load my laptop in normal mode, the error comes up at startup:
"Services and controller app has encountered a problem and need to close, sorry for the inconvenience"
Then after few moments (from seconds to couple minutes) the computer freezes and i have to hard reset it.

I am now in safe mode, i have tried the following:
-Disable all my startup list in msconfig
-Disable everything that isn't from Microsoft Corporation and McAfee in my services list in msconfig

I verified my add/remove list, nothing weird or suspicious there.

The laptop is fairly new, a month and a half old. No junk installed on it yet.

If you know what causes this error please give me advice, and let me know what info you need about the computer to be able to help me.

Thank you!
Douja

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:50 AM

Hi Red_Scorpion.

Disable everything that isn't from Microsoft Corporation and McAfee

I wouldn't count out anything McAfee as an issue either. :thumbsup:
If after you've disabled it and still have the problem, take a look in your event log for clues or post the contents back here. If you need to, see: How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP
BTW, when you get the "Services and controller app has encountered a problem and need to close" error, do you see an application or file listed in front of it?

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:33 AM

That may be trojan related.

Read this: Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Instructions for receiving help in cleaning your computer

Then post a Hijack This log in this section of the forum: HijackThis Logs and Analysis
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:20 AM

Services and controller app is generally the file "services.exe"

This link explains a bit about the malware related to it: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/services.exe.htm

Generally the first step is to double check to ensure malware hasn't snuck onto the system. I recommend this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/

After that, it's a matter of looking for errors in the Event Viewer - and disabling startups and services to determine what's causing it.

FWIW - McAfee is high on the list of "probables" if it isn't malware.

An interesting tool to use is this free download from Eicar - it simulates a virus without being a virus. Downloading and running it should trigger your Antivirus to heal it - if it doesn't, then there's a problem with your anti-virus.

It's located here: http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm
Here's a direct download link for those that are adventurous: http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com

It'll download a 68 byte file named eicar.com. If you run it, it'll just give you some information - IT WILL NOT INFECT YOUR SYSTEM!!!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Red_Scorpion

Red_Scorpion
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

Thank you all for your replies! I think i'm getting somewhere now.

I tried to do full virus scan when i noticed that my McAfee was no longer installed on the machine :thumbsup: Yet i still have 2 entries for it in my services in MSConfig (disabled at the moment).

I installed AVG AV and AS and ran full scans, found lots of spyware, malware and a couple viruses!

I will follow the steps on the site for the HJT logs to see if that helps.

If anything goes wrong i'll get back! :flowers:

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users