Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pop3 Mail Vs Web Based Mail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:08 AM

Hi there. I've always used free web based mail and haven't had a problem. But my father likes using Microsoft Outlook Express (bleh!) which I can respect.

So basically I have to set up his email for POP3 mail which isn't my question. But I do have a question about POP3 mail vs webbased mail.

I've heard that POP3 mail is more prone to security hacks..is that true? and what are the advantages and disadvantages of POP3 mail. Thanks so much

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:55 AM

Many people prefer using POP E-mail because it allows you to read, reply, or compose messages off-line and at leisure; or because you have a copy of the E-mail that can be kept on your computer or archived to disk (especially for business uses); or because you can download E-mail while multitasking or doing other activities on-line.

Certainly, there are additional security problems associated with POP E-mail, since the contents eventually reside on your computer; however, these are easily handled by following best security practices about opening attachments and keeping your resident AV current. Since most E-mail providers now also scan your E-mail for malware, E-mail security is much improved.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:55 PM

I prefer to have both.
Webmail for site signups, spam, etc and pop3 for mail from known sources.
You can still use pop3 mail clients like Outlook and OE to download, save and send mail via a webmail account using 3rd party software and avoid the hassle of logging in all the time. Of course you'ld want to preview it on the server first. Mailwasher works good for that.

#4 Bernie70

Bernie70
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:50 PM

Thanks so much for your input..it's much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users