Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advantages And Disadvantages Of Av Products

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AndreasHagen

AndreasHagen

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:22 AM

Hi,

I am wanting to give an unbiased opinion to a customer of various AV products to a user and would value some advantages and disadavantages of the following products:

Norton Antivirus
Mcafee equivalent
Nod32
Prevx
Bitdefender
Trendmicro

Any other reliable Antivirus product.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:02 AM

Selecting an AV is more of a personal decision, than a "which is better" decision, since the one's you have listed are all reputable products.
The reason I say it's more of a personal decision, is the fact that no AV program will catch every problem, so it boils down to which user interface you're more comfortable with using.
None of them are 100% effective, so for that reason, it's a good idea to occasionally run a couple of the free online scans, as an extra layer of protection.

I also recommend staying away from suites.
It seems the more they add to the program, the more problems people have with it.
That's why, in my opinion, it's better to use programs that are dedicated to one job (AV, Firewall, Antispyware, ....), instead of trying to do everything.
You'll have fewer problems in the long run.

You should also consider using one of the free AV's on the market.
They're just as effective as their pay-for counterparts, but they lack some of the "bells-and-whistles" of the pay-for programs.
Personally, I use AVG Anti-Virus Free, and have been completely satisfied with the program.

This link, Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps, will provide a list of several alternatives, that work just as good as any paid program.
There's even a free version of Bitdefender.
All programs on the list are used by our members, and Spyware free.
Also, why pay a lot for something (Antivirus, Firewall, Anti-Spyware), that you can get for free, that will do the same job, if not better.

Just my 2 worth. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 10 January 2007 - 08:07 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

There as as many opinions as there are programs ( or vice versa). You can check my security configuration "in my sig and this has kept me clean for ever. Obviously surfing and klicking should be done with some concious having said that there are some real good tutorials on this forum Klick and this excellent tutorial from Grinler

I feel that it is in everybody's intrest to keep this virtual world as safe as possible and these guidelines are for sure an addition for that

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

On this site you will find independent comparatives of Anti-Virus software.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 whintersby

whintersby

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:14 AM

As a big advocate of Prevx, I guess I'll chip in here and try to provide an un-biased perspective. :thumbsup:

I don't know how much you know about Prevx1, so I'll give a general overview and explain why I think it is much more powerful (and will continue to get stronger) than rival security products.

Basically, Prevx1 is unique. There really is no other product on the market that works in the same way.

Generic security products (Norton, McAfee, AVG, Defender, Trend, etc) are all still heavily reliant on signatures - meaning they first have to find a new infection in one of their honey-pots (robot computers that search for infections), before one of their researchers then studies the infection and create a fix. This fix is then made available as a signature update for the userbase to download. This process can take hours, days, weeks - and with some infections even months before a fix is available, in which time the entire userbase is open to attack.

Prevx1 is very different in this respect. Instead of having "honey-pots", their actual userbase becomes their detection tool. For example, if I were to browse the internet and unwittingly download/run a malicious file/script, then Prevx1 will monitor the behaviour of this script. If it breaks one of the behaviour rules (ie. unauthorised access to your address book, viotation of physical memory, editing hosts file, etc, etc) then it will immediately block this infection from running. This is good, but the best and unique difference here is that the Prevx1 agent will then communicate all information regarding this malware (all files, behaviour, hash, etc) to the central Prevx1 database, which then immediately blocks this malware from running again on any other computer with Prevx1 installed - and no need for an update. This means Prevx1 is being continually updated every second of every day, with no lag between it learning of new threats, and the userbase being completely up-to-date. Certain security vendors make a huge fan-fare over how they update their definition multiple times in a single day - but nothing can really come close to true real-time updating.

Another great advantage is that because of this model, Prevx are regularly far and away the earliest to detect and create fixes for new threats. If a bad file is detected anywhere in the world - as soon as the central database is informed, a webpage is created offering all information to the public. As written in a *recent article, Google simply cannot index this information quick enough - therefore people are becoming reliant on using the Prevx file research box on their website to check for cutting-edge new files Google isn't aware of.

The more people who download and install Prevx on their machines, the stronger the protection will become as it will be seeing more and more files and behaviour...

Ok, I tried (and probably failed) to give an unbiased view - but am amazed how little people know about how Prevx1 works. In my opinion there really is nothing else that comes close when you understand how different and fast it is in comparison.

[edit] * Here's the news article I mentioned earlier:
http://www.techworld.com/security/news/ind...amp;pagtype=all

Edited by whintersby, 11 January 2007 - 06:30 AM.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:22 AM

I would be very curious what quietman7 has to say about Prevx. Going over their site it looks ok.

#7 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:32 AM

For more than a decade, ICSA Labs, an independent division of Cybertrust, has been the security industry's central authority for research, intelligence, and certification testing of security software products.

:thumbsup:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

I have not used Prevx1 personally but have read a lot of good reports about it. The program is made by a reputable vendor and has been increasing in its popularity and use.

Prevx1 is based on automated malware research and a member-community partnership where each member is part of that community. As such an individual member is able to instantly inform the malware database of any malicious activity they have encountered. Once informed of a new threat the malware database is automatically updated as whintersby noted so other members of the community can be protected. Interesting concept.

BTW, Prevx1 will hook into the OS kernal/SSDT in order to protect your system so you should not be alarmed if you see any hidden entries created by it after running some anti-rootkit tools.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users