Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Bleeping Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Caulfield6

Caulfield6

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:00 AM

To whomever it may be who wishes to be my hero,
I have a few problems. From the easier ones, my DVD rom and Windows media player don't work. I insert a DVD and a message comes up saying:

"Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a"
"problem with the digital copy protection between your DVD drive,"
"decoder, and Video card. Try installing an updated driver for"
"your video card"

I have a feeling it is the driver's problem but it happened on the other computer and i installed an updated driver to no avail.

The other problem is intelinked because when i go into "dxdiag" i see that the "nv4_display.dll" is the main driver. version 6.14.0010.9147
I have a NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4409 with AGP8X 128.0 mb. Any Help would be helpful. Even a link to an updated driver because i can't find one.

Cheers,

The P-C
C6

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:08 AM

Try using Driver Cleaner, which is specifically for ATI and nVidia drivers.

Read the instructions given, but basically the procedure is to uninstall your video driver, run Driver Cleaner, and then reinstall the video driver
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hi Caulfield6.
That error is misleading in that the problem is not with the video driver itself. The only thing that would set off the DRM error that is in anyway related to your video driver is the screen resolution settings. You could try lowering the resolution and color settings down to see if that is indeed the issue (easiest thing to do first) but it's not likely the problem either. The most likely cause is the "decoder" portion of that error, directly related to WMP. It's also possible you have a broken DRM license but that would also be unlikely as you are having the same issue on two machines.
Go here, download and save Lalim DVD Player to your HD. Put your dvd in your drive, close WMP if it opens. This player has no installer, just double click to launch it. Your dvd should play using it. (press forward play arrow if it doesn't autostart). Let us know.
FWIW, you can download all nvidia drivers, past and present, from here. Select Graphics Drivers>GeForce and TNT2>Your OS then click the go button. Older drivers are available from the driver archive selection on the left.

#4 Caulfield6

Caulfield6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:43 PM

Lalim DVD player is a gift from god....
Driver cleaner was... well i couldn't get a download to work. i hate the sites thathave all the la de da dl stuff
C6

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:31 PM

Your currently installed version of the nVidia driver is only 4 months old. (released 9-14-06).
The last 4 numbers listed in the version number in dxdiag designate that. In your case, ver. 91.47.
The error in WMP is because you do not have a compatible dvd codec (decoder) installed. WMP cannot play dvd's that use the normal dvd file format without it and does not come with one built-in. I only suggested you try lalim so that I could be sure that was the problem. Don't get me wrong, it's a good "no frills" player but there are better ones (also free) out there if you wish. VLC is popular. The choice is yours. :thumbsup:
Your topic says something about "full screen applications".
Is there still another issue remaining or are you all set for now?

#6 Caulfield6

Caulfield6
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 05:55 PM

hey man,
Thanks for the help, i installed a new Codec, Xvid i think from a CD i had lying around from an old mag subscription, installed the new Nvidia thingy and updated WMP and it works perfectly now. I do also have a problem with iTunes which i posted elsewhere but seeing the enthusiastic replies I recieved I may as well bring it up here. The problem is that the left side audio just stops playing, you can see it in the bar at the top, and the right side works fine but to fix it you nee to stop or pause the audio and then play it again. It's a real big nuisance.

P-C
C6

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users