Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermitent Unresponsive Kb&mouse/high Cpu Usuage

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 marblessed

marblessed

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

It all started when I turned on my Acer 3005 laptop one morning. It booted up came to the Windows XP Home login screen. I tried to click on my username only to discover the touchpad was unresponsive. I mistakenly thought that it was "frozen" at this screen, because I neither the keyboard nor the mouse seemed to be responding. It finally occured to me to try plugging in a mouse to see if that helped. The usb mouse worked. I was able to use the mouse again, and everything seemed fine.

Days later, the keyboard suddenly became unresponsive as well. I waited it out, and the keyboard seemed to resolve itself. Then, it came back... It is now intermentantly unresponsive/slow. Sometimes it is just a delay, or it will skip letters, other times it is 100% unresponsive, and yet at other times (like now) it is fine. 100% responsive/acurate.

Meanwhile, I realized that the CPU is running nearly constantly. The usage % rarely drops below 66% (with it running at 80-99% much of the time). This is true even when I manualy shut down/disable all non-essential start up programs.
It really "Feels" like a virus/trojen, but all scans come up clean.
Things I have done:
AVG- current and ran daily.
Symantec- ran online scan with clean results
Trendmicro House Call- ran online scan with only results being a suggestion to make a few updates to windows, which I did.
AdAware- only found usual minor suspects
Spybot- ""
Ununstalled anything recenty installed except for the program "Tunebite" which I downloaded recently (paid software, hate to uninstall this... did lots of research before & after... doesn't seem to be the problem.)
CWShredder- found nothing, and then used it to clean up history, temp files, recycle bin, cookies, offline content, etc...
Ran Disk Cleanup.
Defrag- Says it is unnessasary... I just ran this about 3 weeks ago (about 1 week before problem occured)
AboutBuster- ran in safemode twice and had it come up with nothing except that afterwards I recieved this runtime error:
Runtime error '339'
Component 'comctl32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid.
(honestly, I have NO idea what to do/think about that)
Varified Startup Process... all seem to be legit.

Hmm... posting this I realized I skipped running Windows Memory Diagnostic. You'll think I should do that now?

I am simply at a loss, and at wits end. I hope I got everything in here... while the keyboard is working.
And... just in case it could be related in anyway, the powercord recently began failing. We are currently using a loner, while the original is being repaired. I really don't think it has made a difference. At first I did. The computer worked really well the first night of using it with the new cord. The next morning, it was story as usual, so I think it was just a coincidence.

Hopefully & Greatfully,
Marblessed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:27 PM

One more scan item,perhaps the registry is bloated. Run this from MSFT
Click ONLY on the gray box that says 'Full Service Scan" below the wrench image

http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 marblessed

marblessed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:45 PM

Thank you, however I tried to run WindowsLiveOneCare, but it kept comming up with error # 0X0C600C04, and refered me to their forum for help, which seems to be a bit of a joke. Lots of posts regarding this error, very little "answers." I tried the only "solution" I could find, but to no avail.
Any other thoughts?

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

Man this is a tough one. I'm still looking at the error
two other ideas tho'
1 another malware scan this is a good product
Use the free Home user scan

http://www.superantispyware.com/

A memory test

http://www.memtest86.com/
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:21 AM

First do this

Solution: Download http://www.malwarebytes.org/libraries/COMCTL32.OCX

Copy it into your system folder:

C:\Windows\System32