Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dialing 2222

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 dan9119a

dan9119a

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

My computer tries to connect to the internet by dialing 2222 every time I log on. I have tried to change the number to the one that my ISP provides, but it seems to allways ignore my changes in the control panel and reverts backing to 2222. Any suggestions?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 09 January 2007 - 11:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:11 AM

Could you tell me what anti virus program you use. Do you use an anti spam killer program?
MCP
MSDST

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:41 PM

Is there no prefix to the 2222?
I've noted that many ISP's in the US use those last four digits.

Have you tried contacting your ISP about this?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:57 PM

What are in your connection settings the ticked boxes in IE?

#5 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

I am using Zone Alarm Security Suite. There is no prefix, just the four 2's. I have to show my computer ignorance-what are you referring to when you ask about ticked boxes in IE?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:57 PM

I only found one reference to the 2222 dialing. The Internet providers were Juno and Netzero. The suggestion was that if absolutely sure malware was not causing the problem then the only solution was to reinstall the IP's software.
If you are unfortunate to have one of those my personal opinion is to get a different IP if one is available.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:23 PM

I think the next step is to contact your ISP, you have to rule things out before taking drastic steps.
MCP
MSDST

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:08 AM

I am using Zone Alarm Security Suite. There is no prefix, just the four 2's. I have to show my computer ignorance-what are you referring to when you ask about ticked boxes in IE?

In IE under extra internet options connection please check what it says there.

Are you on dial up or on DSL/ADSL?

#9 dan9119a

dan9119a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 12:45 PM

I have gone into my start menu and opened IE. I have gone into internet options under the tool heading. I could not find anything that said other internet options, just internet options. This is where I have tried to change the phone number to the number that my ISP has provided me. No matter which phone number I put in, it will not accept it and as soon as I close the box it reverts back to 2222. It will allow me to put the phone number in but the apply box at the bottom of the window is not highlighted in order to click on it.
I use Netzero as my ISP, but am finding out I am having many problems. Any suggestions on a better ISP. I only have acess to dial-up, no high speed or dsl.

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:03 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:11 PM

First, you need to find out what service is available in your area. Sometimes the local cable company will provide dialup service. I have used several dialup IP's and the one that will provide unlimited service at the most reasonable price is PeoplePC. They will all try to sell you a high speed but it is just a gimmick. Just get the basic service. I have include a link to a site that will help you find ISP's available in your area.
Just a word of advice, the service you have now is famous for billing after you have cancelled. Make sure you get an email confirmation and don't just accept what they tell you over the phone. The cancellation number they will give you means nothing.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Internet_access/2001-6536_7-0.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users