Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hello

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OregonSNOB

OregonSNOB

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:05 PM

Hello everyone,

My name is Joseph and I am a retired Navy man. I like to tinker around on my computer and consider myself pretty well versed in computer technology, however, that is not to say I know everything because I clearly do not, otherwise, I wouldn't be here.

I know virtually nothing about Regedit but know enough not to mess with it to much without the proper help. I know how to use msconfig fairly well and some of the other tools Windows has.

Here is a list of my computer specs:

Compaq Presario 3015US
1024MB Memory
80GB HDD
CD/DVD Combo (Currently Broken & unusable.)
2.4MHz P4
--------------------------------------------------------
AVG v7.5
Spybot Search & Destroy v1.4
TweakNow RegCleaner v2.0.8
CWShredder v2.0
Ad-Aware SE Pro v1.06r1
ATF Cleaner
Cleanup v4.5.2
Smitfraud
HijackThis v1.99.1
Spyware Nuker v4.7.78.1650
Windows Defender v1.1.1593.0
Windows Maliscious Software Removal Tool v1.24
--------------------------------------------------------

I know I am probably overly parinoid when it comes to spyware and viruses but I seem to have pretty bad luck when it comes to that stuff. I do need a realy good "Free" Firewall program so if anyone has a good one let me in on it.

Joseph (OregonSNOB)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:46 PM

Hello, Joseph.
Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
You can find several free firewalls listed here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
You should be able to find one that will suit your needs.
All of the programs listed there, are used by our members, and Spyware/Malware free.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 OregonSNOB

OregonSNOB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:27 AM

Thank you, I have about 6 Tabs open now looking at each of the different programs.

OregonSNOB

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 06:35 AM

You're welcome.
If you have any questions about a particular program, just post them in the AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods forum, and someone should be able to help you out.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:32 AM

Hi Joseph,
:thumbsup: to BC!! :trumpet:

I know I am probably overly parinoid when it comes to spyware and viruses but I seem to have pretty bad luck when it comes to that stuff.

In this day and age, one needs to be paranoid about spyware! :flowers:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users