Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes Installer

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 atmel

atmel

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:25 PM

hI GUys,

I bought an ipod yesterday and i'm trying to install itunes on my laptop, when i run the installer near the end of the set up i get this error :' could not write value to key......./software/classes/clsid/ 24ba3caf-4aec-a7c8-6f47d5684602 verify that you have sufficient privilliges to that key or cotact your support personnel. The thing is i am logged in as an administrator so why is it still giving me this message. its doing my head in, i can install other software ok but only having problems with this one. also i cant find that string in my registery.

any help much appreciated.

thank you :thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by atmel, 09 January 2007 - 10:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

Hi atmel.
Right click your iTunes download and select 'run as". Select "the following user" and "administrator" from the dropdown list. If it doesn't work, please post your OS and iTunes ver. iTunes ver.7 requires win 2K SP4, or XP SP2.

#3 atmel

atmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hi atmel.
Right click your iTunes download and select 'run as". Select "the following user" and "administrator" from the dropdown list. If it doesn't work, please post your OS and iTunes ver. iTunes ver.7 requires win 2K SP4, or XP SP2.

Thank you for the reply hit squad, I am currently running windows xp, sp 2 or 4 i think, its a brand new laptop, and i am currently trying to install itunes ver 7.

i tried the above method but still no luck. why do quick time have to be so extra. bleeping c***ts.

sorry for the rant guys but ive been up all night trying to fix this, i was thinking of taking it back its doing me head in.

thx you peeps

Edited by atmel, 10 January 2007 - 12:08 PM.

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:43 PM

OK atmel.
Against my better judgement, I downloaded and installed itunes using this version here.
Before I did though, I checked for the existance of that key number in the reg and it did not exist nor was there anything even close to it. After the installation, it did, though two numbers varied. So either iTunes or the bundled Quicktime version put it there. If you are not already trying to install ver 7.0.2 from the link above, give it a try. You could also try creating that key manually then right click, select permissions and give it full control. iTunes also requires the "My Music" subfolder be present under the "My Documents" folder. If it is not there or has been moved either move it back or create a new one.
If all else fails, take a look here. Something that seems unrelated may actually be causing this. Worth some trial and error time.

#5 atmel

atmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:11 PM

ive downloaded the above link but still no joy, i'm gonna try one last attempt by creating the key manually , but how do i go about creating it in regedit.

thanks again guys.

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 05:00 PM

You navigate to the given CLSID location in the reg. Right click on the "CLSID" key and select "New Key".
Rename the new key surrounded by the {} on each end. In your case, {24ba3caf-4aec-a7c8-6f47d5684602}.
Right click the newly created key and select "permissions". "Group should be listed as "Admin" or "Everyone" and under permissions, "Full Control" and "Read" should be checked. Exit the reg.
Reopen the reg to make sure you have it in the correct location. Most of your CLSID keys will have more then one value\subkey but the installer should take it from there. If it does not, let me know and I'll re-install itunes again and give you those.

Edited by HitSquad, 11 January 2007 - 05:01 PM.

#7 atmel

atmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

You navigate to the given CLSID location in the reg. Right click on the "CLSID" key and select "New Key".
Rename the new key surrounded by the {} on each end. In your case, {24ba3caf-4aec-a7c8-6f47d5684602}.
Right click the newly created key and select "permissions". "Group should be listed as "Admin" or "Everyone" and under permissions, "Full Control" and "Read" should be checked. Exit the reg.
Reopen the reg to make sure you have it in the correct location. Most of your CLSID keys will have more then one value\subkey but the installer should take it from there. If it does not, let me know and I'll re-install itunes again and give you those.

cheers for the reply m8 much appreciated, .....i tried writing a new key in regedit under CLSID like you said but when i click on new key i get error saying 'cannot create key. error writing to the registry- any ideas why it saying that, its one thing after the other.

thanks again hit squad.

#8 beanpole

beanpole

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:35 AM

cheers for the reply m8 much appreciated, .....i tried writing a new key in regedit under CLSID like you said but when i click on new key i get error saying 'cannot create key. error writing to the registry- any ideas why it saying that, its one thing after the other.

thanks again hit squad.

You could find a registery manager tool to help you do that.If you have no those tools,just google it.I install itunes just now,it work well,nothing wrong happened.Please make sure that you have no hips working on your comeputer,or other anti-vir just like kaspersky,it could stop you froming changing the registery.

#9 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

its one thing after the other.

Stubborn little bugger isn't it? :thumbsup:

I'm begining to agree with "beanpole" that there might be a 3rd party app interfering. These would usually be security related apps like A.V., anti-spyware, firewall,etc.
On the other hand, XP has been known to lose security settings for no apparent reasons on entire reg hives. This also locks all subkeys with it.
Open regedit back up. Close all the open subkeys so that you only see the five main ones listed:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
Right click each and select "permissions". Make sure the "Full Control" and "Read" options are selected for each hive and the appropriate account. If one or more is not, change it. If it won't let you, it's something running preventing anything from making reg changes. If permission for a certain hive (main folder) somehow was lost and it will let you re-set it, do so and exit the reg. Try the itunes install again. No need to reboot. An install from safe-mode may work as well if it's a third party app blocking it.

Edited by HitSquad, 12 January 2007 - 01:04 PM.

#10 atmel

atmel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

its one thing after the other.

Stubborn little bugger isn't it? :flowers:

I'm begining to agree with "beanpole" that there might be a 3rd party app interfering. These would usually be security related apps like A.V., anti-spyware, firewall,etc.
On the other hand, XP has been known to lose security settings for no apparent reasons on entire reg hives. This also locks all subkeys with it.
Open regedit back up. Close all the open subkeys so that you only see the five main ones listed:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
HKEY_CURRENT_USER
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
HKEY_USERS
HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG
Right click each and select "permissions". Make sure the "Full Control" and "Read" options are selected for each hive and the appropriate account. If one or more is not, change it. If it won't let you, it's something running preventing anything from making reg changes. If permission for a certain hive (main folder) somehow was lost and it will let you re-set it, do so and exit the reg. Try the itunes install again. No need to reboot. An install from safe-mode may work as well if it's a third party app blocking it.

cheers for the replies guys, i tried everything you guys mentioned but still had no luck, in the end i did a system recovery and is all working fine and managed to install itunes. :thumbsup: cheers for all the help guys much appreciated.

Edited by atmel, 13 January 2007 - 05:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users