Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

For Windows Vista Security, Microsoft Called In Pros

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:06 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:33 PM

For Windows Vista Security, Microsoft Called in Pros

By Alec Klein and Ellen Nakashima
Washington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, January 9, 2007

When Microsoft introduces its long-awaited Windows Vista operating system this month, it will have an unlikely partner to thank for making its flagship product safe and secure for millions of computer users across the world: the National Security Agency.

...the agency said it has helped in the development of the security of Microsoft's new operating system -- the brains of a computer -- to protect it from worms, Trojan horses and other insidious computer attackers.

Complete Washington Post Article.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 04:14 AM

:huh:

That is some serious stuff, if you ask me...

...I feel quite perplexed by this... :huh:

...It sort of reminds me of the "separation of church and state" subject. :huh:

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:34 AM

Security is a major focus of Vista (the XP exploits were an embarrassment for Microsoft) - so collaboration should be expected. Overall, it's for the good of the country since so many will end up using the OS.

What else did the NSA do? I dunno. I'll leave that up to the experts and to the conspiracy theorists to decide.

But for me, it really doesn't matter - because I subscribe to the theory that a secret is no longer a secret once it comes out of your head. Those things that I wish to keep a secret, I don't write down anywhere. If I do, well then it's my problem if it gets discovered.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:55 AM

So very true Usasma! :huh:

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:29 AM

All of this has been predicted and expected.

Some people just don't get it. It gets thrown all in our faces.... all the time... I'm talking about the M$ and their issues. They are closely know as " The Security That Never Was and Never Will Be".... but we line up and stand and wait to be amongst the 1st to experience the problems. Why?

I wonder how many M$ product supporters are actually BETA testers? The reason I ask is that there has got to be something wrong with this picture.

Every time, (well, 8 out of 10 times) M$ comes out with something, it's been a failure waiting for reports. But I question as to there are so many BETA testers are out there, that are suppose to test, test, test, test...... and then multiply each person by 10 - 100... and then you have MILLIONS of BETA testers... maybe close to it..... and it's more than enough people to test a product, and report the final results of the BETA testing. Even NASA doesn't have that many employee's. But still, M$ can have all of the BETA testers in the WORLD,,,,, and they still manage to come out with products that are waiting to be taking off the shelf.

I guess with many of the M$ BETA testers, the word BETA should fit them well, because when it boils down to it, you are just the experimental (lab rat) person, and because it's BETA, you've been warned of the possible side effects.

But it just amazes me that how so confident the a mind can become adjusted to deception, and accept it, without any follow.

For what it's worth people....... WAKE UP!!!!!......... YOU'RE STILL ASLEEP!!!!

Why are you afraid to try something new and different?

#6 micaman

micaman

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:54 AM

:huh: I, myself, have gained more from the beta testing that I have taken part in over the years, than the companies (many, including Microsoft) that I test for. But, that is not always the case for all who go that route.

One of the things I enjoy about beta testing is the "trying something new" part. I have enjoyed some really cool products, while shaping the way they work in the final build. But, that my friend, is just my opinion.

I will say that the beta testing I do is different than the "public beta's" that make it to the news. I get involved in the technical builds (or the first step out of the designers labs), which doesn't get mentioned in the news.

But the experiences are priceless to me. Such as being one of the first ten thousand technical beta testers worldwide for the entire 2007 Microsoft Office lineup, along with a technical beta tester of Vista. I was able to gain insight into these products in a very different way than most.

I wouldn't call us asleep at the wheel, per say, but maybe blazing full speed ahead towards insanity :huh: !

:huh:

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 06:23 AM

micaman Wrote:

I wouldn't call us asleep at the wheel, per say, but maybe blazing full speed ahead towards insanity

:crazy.gif !
You have to be the most honest person posting a post anywhere in such along time. It's perfect sense. And I respect everyone here, and elsewhere, but I ask just this same question........Why?

I know what you mean by the post, but I'm thinking to myself..... "Why would anyone want to be subjected to it?"

It's the same as saying:

If you trust M$ with your Internet experience, it's the same as trusting children to watch and protect the bank volt in which your money/valuables are held.

For some reason or another........ I can't see that far.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

I beta tested Vista because it was the next OS from Microsoft. I did it so that I could be prepared to help others when it launched. As I mentioned earlier, I am responsible for my own security - so I didn't pay much attention to it in Vista.

As with any business, it's supporters are measured by dollar amount. And, it doesn't even matter why they decided to go with it - the fact is that they chose to support Microsoft by buying it's product.

The motivation of beta testers would be a good subject for a dissertation by some scholar. My feeling is that most are there to experience the latest technology, to get free software, and to assist in the development of that technology. Nowhere (that I've seen) does any EULA or beta agreement require that you test the security features of any OS or app. But, in Microsoft's defense, they did offer scenarios to test the security (which I opted not to participate in) - something that I have not seen from any other software/OS developer.

As for it being a failure waiting for reports - who decides that it's a failure? How many copies of the XP "failure" have been sold? Who's responsible for forseeing threats that didn't exist when it was initially developed? And, why is Microsoft responsible for ensuring no one breaks into your computer? If a user doesn't like how Microsoft secures their computer - then they're welcome to go elsewhere. But, to go back a paragraph or two, overwhelmingly people have voted with their pocketbooks to support Microsoft.

Now, back to the beta testers. How many people have you seen whining about Vista Beta 2 or RC1 not working on their system? They'll swear off upgrading to Vista, and will call it a piece of cr*p - because their copy of the beta had glitches on their system. Isn't that what's to be expected from beta software? I've reported many Vista bugs, and have seen them fixed in later builds. The system does work, but it's their ball park - so you've gotta play by their rules.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users