Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choppy Video/sound

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 buffaloredleg

buffaloredleg

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:26 PM

When using basically anything that uses audio/video (applications as diverse as Oblivion, Madden2007 and Windows Media player) I for some reason have choppy performance sometimes. For example, when I am in a big open area in Elder Scrolls: Oblivion, the game is extremely choppy. Yet, when I am in a small cave I see no performance issues. I used to be able to play on pretty high levels of detail, but now i have to put it at a very low res to even play it at all.... Basically it seems to happen during times of high stress on the computer and loading times.

In Madden, its almost specifically just during loading times, but also will just occur randomly and may last for over a minute.

In Windows Media, its just small little blips that are a nuisance when watching movies and such.

Furthermore, just in general, the computer just seems to be running slower in merely opening files and starting the computer up.

I dont know if these things are related, but the choppiness all appears relatively similar. I updated the drivers and such and direct X. One thing to note is that taking the dead battery out of my computer helped what I thought was a similar problem to these. Anytime that I would type, the computer would just randomly freeze up for a milisecond or whatever and skip over my keystrokes. I took the dead bat out and that solved it. Would maybe getting a new battery help what I'm dealing with now?

Other than that expensive solution, I'm out of solutions. I have a HP zd8000 lap top with XP, with a radeon x600 128MB mobile graphics card. 3.00 ghz, 1GB Ram, Service Pack 2

Thanks for any help. I will check back frequently if more info is needed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:26 AM

It sounds like something is chewing up your RAM or CPU, slowing your system down. Check out this link for some general troubleshooting ideas.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 buffaloredleg

buffaloredleg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

i went through and did spy and virus checks and in safe mode but no dice. I have a feeling that is some sort of maleware, but I cant find it is the problem. What else can be done?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 02:27 PM

It sounds like you have something hogging your R.A.M. or you may have a virus or something.

Neither one may be the case, but at least do a virus scan (although you've done so), using a couple of different programs.

If you can afford more R.A.M. ..... do so and get some.

questions:

a. What programs are you using to play your audio?
b. What programs are you using to play your video?

#5 buffaloredleg

buffaloredleg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:55 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by programs, but I use windows media and Itunes, with Itunes being too choppy now to even use. WM is a little better but still pretty bad. I have a lap top so I'm not sure if I'm able to buy more ram, but even If I could I've never really had any problems with 1GB so far.

I tested oblivion on the settings that I used to play on flawlessly, and the game stutters just as much as when I have it on the lowest settings. It definatly somehow is audio/video related because the stuttering appears for both.

I think you might be right about the virus, I will try to use as many different virus/maleware scanners as possible. Figures that I finally pay this computer off and NOW it starts messing up :thumbsup: Thanks for the help though I appreciate it.

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 11:56 AM

Download VideoLan http://www.videolan.org It's FREE

It may fix your problem.

BTW: iTunes and WMP are programs.

#7 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 12:34 PM

Everytime media player is being a pain, I just do ctrl+alt+del get the taskmanager find the process name, in this case wmplayer. right click on it and I set the priority to the above normal setting. this gives it a higher priority above the rest of the programs.

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#8 buffaloredleg

buffaloredleg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

that videolan thing is pretty cool thanks! However, I'm still experiencing problems when playing games. I scanned this computer up and down and used practically every program I can find. I reallllly dont want to do a system restore so if there is anything else anyone can recommend I'd love to hear it :thumbsup:

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2007 - 06:54 AM

Are you sure it isn't the game itself?

The reason I ask is that I'm playing Counter-Strike: Condition Zero, and on the same board in the same exact spot/scene/location of that game (Italy), it stutters. I know I have nothing wrong on my end, but the problem keeps happening. I may be on the borderline of playing the game, as far as minimum requirements are concerned.

Are you sure you're at the minimum requirements OR above them in any way? I found that with some games even if you're at the minimum, it's not always enough to run the game as smooth as it should run.

#10 buffaloredleg

buffaloredleg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

im pretty sure it isnt the game because I tested it on other games, and during scenes where loading occurs there is massive slowdown.

Basically, i've narrowed it down to being a problem of my computer having difficult loading. In oblivion, the problem occurs in the world map where data is constantly being loaded. When I'm in a cave or house the game runs perfectly smooth. This is the way it is when i test it with other games.

My question is what could be causing loading problems? Is there maybe a service not running or something that would cause this? I did things like regedit and everything got fixed so I'm out of ideas. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users