Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron3000 Laptop Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Frustrated Deb

Frustrated Deb

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

Having trouble with an Inspiron3000 laptop that was loaded with Win95. When I turn the computer on, if I don't use F2 to enter setup, it just goes to a dark black/greyish screen and the cursor blinks in the upper left but the keyboard is unresponsive.

If I use the F2 option, I can get to the CMOS screen, but it has disabled the diskette drive and won't allow me to change that -- the cursor just skips over that selection. I could not find the original diskettes so went to bootdisk.com and downloaded the boot disk for win95 but as it won't recognize the diskette, I also burned it onto a cd, but it won't recognize it there either. I am unable to boot at all as it will not recognize any drive. If I choose to use the default settings, when I press enter nothing happens, except it goes back to restart and ultimately gives me the blank screen again with the blinking curser.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it. I also tried to put a copy of win98 in the cd to install it but nothing happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

I can only guess about some things. First, is Windows 95 what was always on this machine? Is this a version that came with the laptop? Laptops are persnickety about such things as screen drivers. If you put Win 95 on from a disk without the drivers necessary for the peripherals and screen, it's not going to work.

And if the laptop is newer than Win 95, chances are that it has things in it that Windows 95 does not have the drivers for.

I don't know what to do about the cursor skipping over the disk drive. I don't know why installing Win 95 would change the BIOS at all. I suppose that you could find the BIOS battery and pull it for a few minutes and reset the BIOS to default. But I can't tell you where to look for it. Perhaps someone else will have more experience with Dells. It's possible that there is a problem with a piece of hardware rather than the BIOS settings.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users