Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Change Computer Owners Name

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 clueless46312

clueless46312

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:24 AM

how can I change the computer owners name?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:44 AM

Hi clueless46312, Welcome to bleepingcomputer.com

This requires a Change in the registry and improper changes can cause serious problems..
Make a Registry Backup before proceeding !!See this tutorial on Editing and Backing up Registry
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/demystifying-the-windows-registry/

Go to Start/Run and type in "regedit" without the quotes (Win 2000 type "regedt32")

With Windows XP (and probably Win 2000) navigate to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion

Click the "CurrentVersion" folder and look for the "RegisteredOwner" key. Double click and change the value to your name. You can also change the "RegisteredOrganization" if you want to.

When finished go to File/Exit.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 clueless46312

clueless46312
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:12 PM

Thanks, Boopme! I read the Demystifying Windows Registry and followed your instructions. Worked like a charm.

Thanks so much for the speedy advise!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

You're welcome :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:06 PM

Hi boopme,

Hey when I get to this --> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion
there is no entry for registered owner or org either one.

Is there something wrong? I have Windows XP Home edition with SP2 installed. Would I have to look somewhere else for those files?

Thanks,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Hi Wendy

Ok ... Wendy, when you get to the 'Current Version' ...click on the folder in left pane and the data will open in the right pane. There's where look for the "RegisteredOwner" key.

Edited by boopme, 09 January 2007 - 07:51 PM.

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

Hi boopme, Cool thanks. I had just misses clicking the right thing in the left pane. I just wanted to look at mine not change it but now it has me wondering.

It shows one name under registered owner but some where else I found a whole different 'computer name' weren't they supposed to be the same?

Thanks,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,114 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 07:36 PM

Hi Wendy,
Perhaps it's a Network or workgroup name, as I don't know where you're seeing it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users