Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Me Won't Save Or Delete Files

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stevieb

Stevieb

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:46 AM

When I save a file or delete a file, or even install a new program, everything seems normal until I reboot. Then all the changes I made are gone, even the newly installed programs. I turned off System Restore but that didn't help. Does someone out there have a clue what's going on? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:17 AM

The only thing I can think of is that Windows ME, which I assume you're using, will replace the registry with an earlier copy if the latest one is bad on bootup.

I think I'd get use a startup disk from Windows 98 or ME and run Scandisk after you boot from it. Either disk will work. If you have the time, you should check the surface of the disk, too. Once the computer is started, all you'd see is the A:\> prompt. Change it to the C:\> prompt by typing:

C:

. . . and hit enter. Then type:

scandisk /nosave /autofix /surface

. . . and hit enter. Notice the spaces before the slashes. The no save switch keeps it from saving lost chains which you are unlikely to be able to do anything with anyway. The autofix switch lets it fix errors. The surface switch tells it to scan the entire surface of the drive for problems and mark bad sectors. If you don't have hours to kill, leave that switch off. (don't type "/surface")

While it's scanning, it will give you a graphic representation of the surface of the disk and you can watch the progress.

#3 Stevieb

Stevieb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:07 AM

Yes, I'm using ME. I'll try your suggestion tonight after work. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users