Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Lap Top

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bjbez69

bjbez69

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:55 AM

My lap top is running very slow on start up and shut down, and my desktop refreshes slowly each time i exit something etc.
I have run CCleaner, AVG antispyware, Super anti spyware,ATF cleaner,disc cleanup, defrag etc etc. but not that much improvement if any.
I have stopped some things runnng on start up but there are still a lot there and i dont know which ones to disable - any ideas how i can recognise the safe ones to stop?
I have XP Medic which repaired my registries but that hasnt made any difference really.
Any ideas what i can do to improve performance?
Any help would be great ta - sorry if i'm a bit hazy with descriptions etc but im a bit of a computer latecomer.
:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:20 AM

Compare your list of startup applications to the BC StartupFile database, tabbed above each BC page, to determine what each does; the BC list will also indicate whether the item in question is needed, optional, or should most likely be killed.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 bjbez69

bjbez69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for that John.
I removed some items which has helped, although not fantastic a lot better. Maybe i'm just expecting too much from my unit. I think i will invest in a new one.
Damn thing is still red hot though, yet someone is giving me advice in another log on that one so i'll dissappear for now.
Thanks Again
Mark

#4 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:16 PM

It'd be helpful if you could tell us the specs of your laptop.
It could just be getting on a bit :thumbsup:

#5 bjbez69

bjbez69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:15 PM

Its a compaq presario 2500 xp home edition. its about 2 years old, maybe a bit more, and its got slower and slower as time has gone on. i think it may be time for a new one, a little bit smaller and lighter than this lump. anyway, if you have any ideas in the meantime :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users