Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hang At Xp Loading Screen?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:32 AM

this isn't something of grave concern, but every now and then (maybe twice a week or so) my computer will hang at the XP loading screen. the blue bar will just keep loading for upwards of 10 minutes until i get bored, hit reset, boot in safe mode and then everything is fine. i'm just curious what causes this and if there's any way to prevent it? the hard drive light is on while this is happening so it's not nothing, but for the life of me i have no idea what it's doing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

It could be many different things. The most likely is that a driver isn't loading properly. BUT, it can also mean that there's a hardware device that's starting to fail - so it's best to backup your data now. Once that's done, we can follow some of these steps to help sort it out:

1) Enable boot logging to see what's failing (can be done on the menu for getting into Safe Mode)
2) Checking Device Manager for devices that have red x's or yellow !'s
3) Checking Event Viewer for error messages generated around the time of the "lockup".
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:46 AM

After doing the things usasma recommends you could also do a memory test and a hard drive test to make sure either of those components are not about to head south.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 dogslikeus

dogslikeus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:18 AM

i should hope none of my hardware is failing since it's all brand new (only about a month old). i know it's possible, but i doubt it's that.

i'm looking at event manager but i have no idea what to look for. there are tons of little "information" bubbles, but i'm clueless as to what i should be seeing. nothing appears to be seriously wrong, but again, i don't know what i'm looking for.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

In the Event Viewer you're looking for "Errors" - disregard the Information stuff for now. Check all the categories listed on the left (their logs are in the right hand pane).

It's too early to rule out hardware as a problem. Yes, it's new - but bad hardware is common enough that most manufacturers have established procedures for returning it (called RMA's) - so it's advisable not to discount this. The tests that we've recommended are free and at most will take a CD and a bit of your time to run - - - a small price to pay for peace of mind.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users