US C:/windows/explorer.exe, Runtime Error - Windows XP Home and Professional

Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

C:/windows/explorer.exe, Runtime Error

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 tompa

tompa

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:12 AM

Hi!

I have a windows xp pro with sp2 ,and I have a message
c:/windows/explorer.exe abnormal program termination.

Can someone help,I will be very grateful,

Thx in advance and best regards,

Tompa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

This type of error can be caused by many, many different things - including a virus infection. What were you doing when the error occurred?

Edited by Budapest, 09 January 2007 - 07:35 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

Look in the Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools. There should be an error(s) listed. Please post the entire error message.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 tompa

tompa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:39 AM

I download a Democracy player and some videos from Youtube.

Thats all i do,and than starst the problems.

Best regards,

Tompa

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:54 AM

Have you ran your antivirus program? Have you run Spybot and AdAware?

Spybot S&D
AdAware SE

#6 tompa

tompa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:40 AM

Both programs and some others but nothing.Every other programs running normally except windows explorer.

Edited by tompa, 10 January 2007 - 10:41 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:26 AM

Try this free scan to double check your system: http://safety.live.com/

Then, uninstall the Democracy player - test to see if explorer.exe works correctly (reboot also).

Then, reinstall another download of the Democracy player - then retest to see if explorer.exe works (reboot also)

If this doesn't fix it, then we'll probably have to run SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and may even have to do a repair install to fix the explorer.exe errors.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 tompa

tompa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 03:44 AM

I do all that but nothing,still the same.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:11 AM

Did you try using the System File Checker as suggested by usasma. See this article for more information.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

Do you look in the Event Viewer like I requested?
Go to Start and then Programs. Next go to Administrative Tools, and then Event Viewer. Please review and post any error messages list. Post the complete error message as it appears.

#11 tompa

tompa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:08 PM

cant get into a event viewer,also have a same error message.

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 AM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 02:57 PM

Try SFC.EXE ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )

If that doesn't work, then you'll likely have to opt for the repair install: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 PM

Posted 13 January 2007 - 06:32 PM

Hello,

If you can get to the control panel, go to folder options, and tell it to use seperate windows,

if that didn't work, check the date on the system clock nd reset it if necessary

if that didn't work, uninstall java, then use a registry cleaner then re instal java

Do you have a program called free download manager? it has been known to have similar errors

if those don't work download the latest version of the visual basic run time files from...http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q235420&

Hope these help
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users