Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Svchost.exe Missing Help Me Pls....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 manjari

manjari

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:09 AM

Hi,

I read a lot of posts mentioning not to worry about lots of svchost.exe running in the tskmngr. But i have a problem in my system that suddenly the svhost.exe vanished from the taskmngr. I usually have 5 instances of svchost.exe running in taskmngr but all of a sudden it vanished. I did not encounter any other problems due to this still. my system is starting and shutting down properly and net is working fine. Still iam bothered in this issue coz my system may run slowly due to svchost.exe not present. But i can find svchost.exe in systemroot/system32/svchost.exe. so what should i do to get it back? Please someone help me get it running in taskmngr again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:35 AM

Basically, there's no easy way to reconstruct the svchost.exe processes. The reason for this is that each one has different services running underneath it. Some only have one, while others may have as many as 25 (or more). Svchost.exe is sort of like a shell for running other services as a process in Task Manager.

Go to the Services applet ( Start...Run...type in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter). Scroll down to the Windows Time entry.

Is it started? If so, then at least one instance of svchost.exe is running (this is the one with 25 services on my XP VM). Windows Time is one of the 25 services there. If it's not started, start it, set it to Automatic, then reboot - do you now see an svchost.exe process?

Have you done a scan for malware? As a double check, I'd suggest that you try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 manjari

manjari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:43 PM

I found that the services.exe file is missing from system32 folder. There are no svchost.exe file running in taskmanager. Usually 5 instances run in taskmngr. How can i get back the services.exe file. Is system restore helpful?

#4 manjari

manjari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

Hi usasma,

Good to see your reply. I did as u said. I could see the the status of windows time entry as "started" only. Today out of doubt i navigated to system32 folder. I could not find services.exe file in it. Iam sure that i had not deleted it. So is that a reason for svchost.exe's missing? From tasklist /svc in cmd prompt i got this copy.

Image Name PID Services
========================= ====== =============================================
System Idle Process 0 N/A
System 4 N/A
SMSS.EXE 552 N/A
CSRSS.EXE 616 N/A
WINLOGON.EXE 640 N/A
SERVICES.EXE 684 Eventlog, PlugPlay
LSASS.EXE 696 PolicyAgent, ProtectedStorage, SamSs
SVCHOST.EXE 856 RpcSs
SVCHOST.EXE 956 AudioSrv, Browser, CryptSvc, Dhcp, dmserver,
ERSvc, EventSystem,
FastUserSwitchingCompatibility, helpsvc,
lanmanserver, lanmanworkstation, Netman,
Nla, RasAuto, RasMan, Schedule, seclogon,
SENS, ShellHWDetection, srservice, TapiSrv,
TermService, Themes, TrkWks, uploadmgr,
W32Time, winmgmt, WmdmPmSp, wuauserv, WZCSVC
SVCHOST.EXE 1056 Dnscache
SVCHOST.EXE 1120 LmHosts, SSDPSRV, WebClient
ccEvtMgr.exe 1268 ccEvtMgr
EXPLORER.EXE 1392 N/A
SPOOLSV.EXE 1516 Spooler
SVCHOST.EXE 1568 N/A
SVCHOST.EXE 1576 N/A
ccApp.exe 1640 N/A
SOUNDMAN.EXE 1668 N/A
NAVAPSVC.EXE 1248 navapsvc
NPROTECT.EXE 1332 NProtectService
SVCHOST.EXE 1324 stisvc
CALMAIN.EXE 208 CCALib8
firefox.exe 948 N/A
CMD.EXE 900 N/A
tasklist.exe 224 N/A
wmiprvse.exe 336 N/A
=======================================================

But still as i mentioned earlier i could not find svchost.exe in task manager and services.exe file missing from system32 folder. Can i opt for system restore to a previous good configuration?

#5 _Peter_

_Peter_

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:10 AM

Try this first...

Open a command prompt and type: sfc /scannow

This should restore any missing system files. If this doesn't work, then try system restore.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:00 AM

As you can see from the tasklist /svc listing - there are svchost.exe processes running - and they can't just start spontaneously, they've gotta be present on the system in order to start.

There's many reasons that you may not be able to see these things - but the most common is a malware infection. Also, if there is malware present on your system, a restore/repair may not fix it - and may cause the malware to hide itself.

That's why I recommend the http://safety.live.com/ scan as a double check . Once you're sure there isn't any malware present - then the job of fixing it becomes much easier.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 11:01 AM

Duplicate post - could a Mod merge this one with: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/77456/svchostexe-missing-help-me-pls/

TIA!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users