Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bjbez69

bjbez69

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:54 AM

Hi all you helpers out there
Got a bit of a problem with my lap top. Its a Compaq Presario 2500, and it gets very very hot, with the fan continuously running within a few minutes of startup, and a battery life of, wait for it, a massive, 7 minutes when 'fully' charged. Great. None of this is a problem when plugged in and using a 'wired' connection to the internet, but whenever i try to go on line using my wireless card, after about 20 minutes of use, EVERYTHING freezes, and i have to shut down by holding down the power button. The last time this happened, i removed the wireless card and it was also very hot - could this be the reason why everything dies? do you know of any other reasons? any ideas how i can keep my lap top cool/improve cooling fan performance?
Sorry for not being very technical with regard to info / terminology, i am new to all this.
Thanks in advance for any info :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:09 AM

The 2 biggest problems that I've seen with laptops are dirt and blocked ventilation ports. You can blow some of the dirt out with compressed air - but it'll take a lot of hard work to open the case and clean it out. Unless you're very good with tools, I'd leave it to a pro.

Blocked vents most commonly come from using the laptop in bed - and the bed covers fluff up and block the ports. To eliminate this as a cause, put the laptop on a hard tabletop when using it.

The battery may be contributing to the heat. Try running the laptop with the AC adapter without the battery plugged in. That may help.

Recently we've had several Compaq's with heat issues in the area to the left of the touchpad - one even melted the plastic case! If this is the issue with yours, I'd suggest that it be serviced to find out what's causing it.

There's lot's of other things, but this is a good place to start - let us know if any of this helps and we'll move onto other things.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bjbez69

bjbez69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have taken the battery out which actually wasnt very hot itself. the heat seems to be coming from the centre of the lap top on the bottom. ive never used it in bed. think i will have to take it to an expert to dismantle and see if that helps.
thanks again :thumbsup:

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:26 AM

Is there an access panel in that area that you can remove and have a "look see" to figure out what major component is there?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bjbez69

bjbez69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:31 AM

Hmm i see something i can take off and start to play with - i will check it out later. if i find anything exciting i will keep you up to date, however, i'm wondering if all of the fans are working, because there is one at the back of the machine that definitely is not - will they have a 'driver' or do they just work off temperature? if the latter, they are pants ha
thanks for the interest in my prob :thumbsup:

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:34 PM

Most newer laptops have temperature operated fans. But if it never comes on (since you already have heat issues) then it's likely that there's a problem with it.

I've freed a few up with a blast of compressed air - but it's not real reliable, and the fan tends to fail again soon afterwards.

It's possible to replace the fans, but you'll have to do some googling to find out exactly how. Cracking open a laptop is a chore that I gave up back in the early 1990's :thumbsup:

Also, take the battery to an electronics store that offers battery testing - see if it's dead or not (I suspect it is).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users