Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Hard Drive A Lemon?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:12 AM

I have a 200 GB partitioned Hard Drive which still has 94% free space.My query is that there are some files which sit about 1/2inch from the start when analysing.No matter how many times I defrag,these files will not move and be compacted.When my Techy fitted it,he just said to get a better defrager than Windows and it will move.Have tried about 6 defraggers to no avail.
My question is with these files sitting where they are.would my PC be faster if they were in their proper place?
Secondly,is this a lemon which the techy supplied and should I worry, or should I replace it.?
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:53 AM

DSTM, a few questions

a) What kind of HDD brand we are looking at
:thumbsup: What type of files and size.
c) How did you partition it with what program?
d) Do you have an external HDD?
e) Did you try to defrag in safe mode?

Edited by fozzie, 09 January 2007 - 04:54 AM.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:20 AM

DSTM, a few questions

a) What kind of HDD brand we are looking at
:trumpet: What type of files and size.
c) How did you partition it with what program?
d) Do you have an external HDD?
e) Did you try to defrag in safe mode?

a) Didn't see as the techy installed
:inlove: Wouldn't Know
c) Techy partitioned with Acronis True Image
d) No external HDD
e) No---Never been shown.-----F8 then what?
All seems to operate OK (except the operator) :flowers: Was just wondering would it be an advantage if these files (what ever they are)could be compacted.If you say no real advantage,fine.It's not life or death,just wanted an experts opinion.
When he mistakeingly installed a 20 GB HDD instead of a 200 GB and when I rang and said my PC is running like crap,he abused me over the phone.After much persuasion he fixed his mistake.Made inquiries and was told no 20 GB HDD have been sold for yonks.Where he got this one from is anybodys guess. :thumbsup:
Have not used a techy since.

Edited by DSTM, 09 January 2007 - 08:40 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:15 AM

VoptXP (or the newer Vopt8) has a feature where you can see what's in these blocks. It also has a trial version that you can use. On my old system, viewing these files showed me that they were system files - so I opted not to mess with them.

While reorganizing these files may increase the speed - I doubt that you'll notice it. IMO it's more important to keep the files defragmented than it is to keep them contiguous (next to each other) if you're interested in speed.

PC Technicians are largely self-taught, although programs are cropping up to teach the basics. The majority of our experience is learned on the job - so there may be gaps in the knowledge that a particular tech has. That's the benefit of a larger shop (all else being equal) - there's other techs on hand to share knowledge with and ask questions of.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

VoptXP (or the newer Vopt8) has a feature where you can see what's in these blocks. It also has a trial version that you can use. On my old system, viewing these files showed me that they were system files - so I opted not to mess with them.

While reorganizing these files may increase the speed - I doubt that you'll notice it. IMO it's more important to keep the files defragmented than it is to keep them contiguous (next to each other) if you're interested in speed.

PC Technicians are largely self-taught, although programs are cropping up to teach the basics. The majority of our experience is learned on the job - so there may be gaps in the knowledge that a particular tech has. That's the benefit of a larger shop (all else being equal) - there's other techs on hand to share knowledge with and ask questions of.

Thats what I like about BC.You ask a question,regardless of how mundane it may seem,and there is always someone who is only too happy to share their wealth of knowledge.
Thanks usasma and fozzie. :thumbsup:

Edited by DSTM, 09 January 2007 - 09:36 AM.

#6 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

DSTM:

Did you run a scandisk (chkdsk) before running the defrag? If not try that.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 11:40 AM

DSTM:

Did you run a scandisk (chkdsk) before running the defrag? If not try that.

I haven't run scandisk although I have the tutorial to do so.Will run Scandisk,then defrag and see if the files move.If nothing changes,then I'll leave everything the way it is.As usasma says it shouldn't cause undue probs.Thanks so much for your advice,just me. :thumbsup:

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

Startup in safe mode tutorial

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users