Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Genuine Advantage

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

When I tried to use Windows Media Player,I got a notice from Micro$oft that read as follows;

"You must validate your copy of Windows to get Windows Media Player 11.
You must verify that Microsoft Windows is genuine. After validation,you will have access to all the latest features,updates and support."

Of course I have a valid copy of Windows, I'm just not liking the idea of M$ collecting a whole bunch of data from my computer when I download Their software.

Do we have any other choice in this matter???
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:45 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:05 AM

If you're interested, this article discusses what information Microsoft collect.

Also see this article for some information.

You can bypass the WGA check. I personally do not believe there is anything illegal in bypassing the check provided your XP is genuine.

Edited by Budapest, 09 January 2007 - 05:44 AM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:58 AM

If you're interested, this article discusses what information Microsoft collect.

Also see this article for some information.

You can bypass the WGA check. I personally do not believe there is anything illegal in bypassing the check provided your XP is genuine.

It is not so much the goal which is illegal but more the means. Think you and I knows that this would open up certain doors for "purpetrators"..

#4 TMacK

TMacK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:22 PM

That second link would have been helpful Budapest,Thank You,but I reviewed my Windows update schedule.
It shows that Windows Media Player 11 was updated December 27,2006 by "Other Sources".???
I certainly don't recall updating it.

So now it appears that I have no choice but to download the WGA software.
If I click Cancel on the WGA notice,the page closes and the video doesn't play (I'm just talking about a five minute long video attachment to an e-mail).

Also noted, that the icon for the attachment to be viewed in WMP has changed to a little film strip.

So Who out there has had to do this WGA??
Don't think I can get out of it if I want to use WMP!
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:37 PM

If you are legit the WGA will not harm you or give Billy insight to anything personal about you.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 10:51 AM

WGA checks to ensure your Windows is Genuine (not illegal). There's nothing to fear if you have a legal copy - even if it doesn't work, MS has a number for you to call to work it out.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Dogman1313

Dogman1313

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:50 PM

When I tried to use Windows Media Player,I got a notice from Micro$oft that read as follows;

"You must validate your copy of Windows to get Windows Media Player 11.
You must verify that Microsoft Windows is genuine. After validation,you will have access to all the latest features,updates and support."

Of course I have a valid copy of Windows, I'm just not liking the idea of M$ collecting a whole bunch of data from my computer when I download Their software.

Do we have any other choice in this matter???

How do you bypass windows advantage popup? On our computer we have service pack 3 & internet explorer 7, all the updates then this popped up . i know microsoft had a fix for this problem

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 05 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

WGA checks to ensure your Windows is Genuine (not illegal). There's nothing to fear if you have a legal copy - even if it doesn't work, MS has a number for you to call to work it out.

Go ahead and run it.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users