Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help To Get Rid Of 'smitfraud C.'

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wai

wai

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

Hi All,
Used spybot to scan my system and it found some problems but is not able to get rid of this virus "smitfraud c.." Every time after each scan it says not able to fix this one as it might be in memory or something to that extent and was told to restart PC so that it wil scan during start up which it did but to no avail.This dreadful virus still remains in there after many scans.Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated,thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:54 PM

try this BC tutorial
How to remove the Smitfraud
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,099 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:38 AM

Can you be more specific as to what Spybot is reporting in regards to Smitfruad as there are several issues relating to it?

Are you using IE-SPYAD? There have been reported conflicts between Spybot S&D and IE-SPYAD that show in a Spybot log as follows:

Smitfraud-C.: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1220945662-1383384898-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\asdbiz.biz\*!=W=4

Smitfraud-C.: User settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1220945662-1383384898-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\cc20foreva.com\*!=W=4

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1220945662-1383384898-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\datingforlove.org\*!=W=4

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1220945662-1383384898-682003330-1003\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\e-finder.cc\*!=W=4

Launch Spybot, go to File Menu > Mode and select Advanced mode.
Then go to Tools > View Report > View Previous Report. A box should open with selections of .log and .txt files. Select the latest .txt file (Checks.050726-XXXX). The X's will be numbers. Just select the .txt that has the highest number. If the report looks similar to the above, then check your restricted zones list and see if those entries are there.

If its Smitfraud-C.Toolbar888 and Spybot is the only program flagging this, then it could be a false positive that was previously reported. See Post #3 here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=8668
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 wai

wai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hi Boopme and Quietman7

Thanks very much for the prompt reply,I'm using spybot S&D and will be trying out the tutorial to remove SmitFraud,but one thing is I do have the clean disk utility and have tried it although not in safe mode.Does it make any difference because the Smitfraud still seems unremovable at this point.will keep you posted of any progress,thanks again. :thumbsup:

Edited by wai, 09 January 2007 - 09:13 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users