Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pcbeginner

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ToDrag

ToDrag

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

Howdy, folks.
Has anyone heard of PCbeginner? It is an all-in one utility located at http://www.pcbeginner.com/tools/pcdoctor.htm

The features are as follows:

PC Beginner 2007 CD Features List
Windows Installation
This utility can help pc beginners easily installing any Windows operating system.
Windows Recovery
This utility will recover your Windows when the system is crashed, or recover registry when the registry is crashed, or recover partition when the partition is crashed.
Windows Doctor
Smart Uninstall - Remove your unwanted applications that cannot be removed by Windows "Add or Remove Programs".
IE Restore - Restore default settings of your Internet Explorer.
Startup Manager - Enable you to choose which programs automatically startup with Windows.
File Shredder & File Undelete
File Shredder - Delete files and folders permanently from your hard disk.
File Undelete - Restore files that have been deleted accidentally.
Password Recovery & Key Finder
Password Finder - Find your lost password for Email, MSN, IE and asterisks.
Windows Admin/User password:
With this password tool, you can reset the following Windows Admin/User password to blank or change the password. Works on: Windows XP (all versions, SP1 and SP2), Windows 2000 (all versions), Windows Server 2003 (all versions) and Windows NT 4.0 (all versions and SP).
BIOS/CMOS Password:
This utility will enable you to find or clear BIOS/CMOS password.
MS Product Key Finder - Find you Windows, Office and IE product or CD keys.
Security & Privacy
Clean Up History - Clear up all your activities record in your computer to protect your privacy.
Folder Encryption - Enable you to encrypt folders to protect your private files from viewing by others.
Disk Partition & Format
With this utility you can partition and format your hard disk, easily remove and create partitions, scan bad sectors on your hard disk and recover MBR. It supports FAT, FAT32, NTFS, LINUX, UNIX, and OS/2 file systems. It supports devices with IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB 1.1/2.0 interface.
Disk Clone & Backup
This utility is for cloning Windows 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista. It supports IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB interface. You can use it when:
(1) You want to transfer all data from one disk/partition to another.
(2) You want to backup the operation system and restore it in the event of a fatal system crash or virus attack.
(3) You want to backup the entire disk/partition and restore it in the event of a hardware trouble or careless deletion.
Rescue Hard Disk
You need this tool when any one of these cases happens:
(1) Hard disk has bad sectors: the hard disk is slow; or you have difficulty on installing Windows.
(2) When you install Windows, you got message like "no hard disk"; but your BIOS lists a hard disk.
(3) You cannot format the hard disk.
(4) You want to reinstall a clean Windows.
(5) You want to get your hard disk back to factory conditions.
Data transfer
Transfer files (photos, music, documents etc.) to extended devices when your Windows got corrupted.
Unformat
Recover deleted files from accidentally or intently formatted disk/partition.
Undelete
Recover files which are deleted from your Windows' Recycle Bin.
Wipe Data
This utility will delete data permanently off your hard disk or some partitions, which means all data on your hard disk/partition will be unrecoverable. This is the ultimate solution to protect your privacy when you donate or resell your personal computers. No one in the world can recover any data from your computer once you use this utility.
Desktop Secretary
Desktop Secretary - Help you manage daily time and business schedule.

I am not a beginner, but with three PCs I can see where this could really be handy if it does all the things it says. I am a cheapskate and have mostly only used freeware utilities, and there are some good ones, of course. I thought maybe someone had some experience or knowledge of this particular utility. Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
to thee, these three: love, joy & the blues

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:26 AM

I have never heard of PCbeginner, but looking through the list of its features I think you can get all of this for free, although not all on the one CD.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ToDrag

ToDrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:44 AM

Hi Budapest.

Yeah, I think you are right, and how good are the individual programs.

I don't know. It had a "sale" listed yesterday and earlier today that was to be good only until 1/9/07. Now magically the same price is only good until 1/10/07.

I guess that proves they can count! (at least by 1s)

regards -

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:47 AM

The question is certainly how good are the bundled applications compared with using individual---and well-known---applications that will do the same thing, and probably better than whatever is included on the disk? There are several powerful---and potentially dangerous---modules on that one disk, so I would certainly want the very best software for those functions.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:19 PM

I have heard of this before - they are indeed all free utilities but you're paying for the convenience of it all being bundled onto one disk :thumbsup:

Ive never used it but a friend of mine says its fantastic - reckons it can boot up any Windows machine no matter how knackered its got.

#6 ToDrag

ToDrag
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

Sorry I left this hanging.

I decided not to buy this disk. The marketing is slick and at the onset, it looks very appealing. But as jgweed said, it has some powerful applications on it that could do some real damage. Also, I think you would have to continually be updating a lot of the utilities on the CD.

So, thanks to everyone's opinions which got me to rethink it. I decided no.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users