Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Design

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jooles18

jooles18

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

hi can anyone help me. i would like to start up my own web buisness but dont know where to start. can anyone tell me of any free or cheap web designs that i can use. any of the ones i have looked at are very expensive but i dont want to pay to much till i know it will work
thanks
julie :thumbsup:

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 08 January 2007 - 03:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gimp

Gimp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

first off, are you looking for hosting or designs?

if hosting, there are many places that do this for free and pay... (geocities.com is probably the most common free one)

if designs, freelayouts.com has a lot of them, at least the last time i checked

Posted Image

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:39 AM

So far as hosting I've always heard great things about Dreamhost for the actual hosting and Godaddy for the domain registration.

For designing the actual site, if this is for professional then you either want to hire someone or start learning some basic web programming and perhaps some PHP. Then you can settle on software and such.

Of the free stuff, probably the best What You See Is What You Get (WYSIWYG, meaning you edit your page more or less like a word processor) editors are Amaya and Nvu.

Or if you're hardcore, you can hard code it in Notepad++. \m/
Posted Image

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:33 AM

HTMLKIT is a very good editor. it is really useful but you will need to know about how HTML is structured.

Just search google for free templates and you will find loads. For web design the best program in my opinion is Dreamweaver.

If you are designing a site make sure you design it in a graphics program first the split it up in the web editor this make life a lot easier. I use Dreamweaver and Fireworks.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#5 Chris Mason

Chris Mason

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:05 PM

Y'know....I've always heard that Dreamweaver is too "bulky" for good Search Engine Optimization design.

Is the HTML clean in the DW templates?

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2007 - 03:27 PM

To me, Dreamweaver is the best (3 years now). One Man's Opinion.

But as far as being optimized for the search engines, you make your template from the page itself, and save it as the file type you want it, and not .dwt

#7 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 07 February 2007 - 04:59 AM

Yeah Dreamweaver is the best. If used with Fireworks it makes the perfect design package. The only thing is it is not cheap.

Edited by projectfocus, 07 February 2007 - 05:00 AM.

FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#8 Chris Mason

Chris Mason

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2007 - 08:14 PM

O.K.

Dreamweaver it is!!

But can you recommend an open source program that may compare to Adobe web design products?

(Y'know free is good too!) :thumbsup:

#9 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2007 - 07:19 AM

The Only FREE HTML Editor I know of, and used for years is HTML-Kit. This thing has (I believe in the hundres, of add ons you can add to it.) and that would be my only one I'd ever use, when comparing FREE HTML software. And there are other FREE one's. But as far as I'm concerned, the HTML-Kit can be configured to be just like Dreamweaver, FrontPage, etc... programs.

So, if you say FREE, 100% FREE, and UPGRADABLE for FREE... go with the HTML-Kit.

I must admit this thought..... if you're just wanting to design web pages, this software will make you learn things you don't know. Alot of what you do, will require you to see the actual code of what you're doing. But if you need to learn html, then that's the one. I've downloaded so many add ons to mine, way before I knew php and databases, but it had what I needed to do anything I wanted to do. Wether, .asp, .htm, .php, cfm, .cgi, .perl,.. you name it,,, the program will do it for you.

#10 mykz78

mykz78

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 21 February 2007 - 10:44 AM

On part of the web authoring tool, Dreamweaver sure is pretty good.

It has lots of features that make web design and development easier and faster. Well, of course, you need to know the basics of web design as well as the workarounds in the program, huh.

On top of that, you partner it up with Adobe Photoshop for the layout, Macromedia Fireworks for web slicing, and HTML export. I've got this from www.totaltraining.com, haha.

But you could always opt for the pre-designed templates in numerous sites in the web.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users