Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NEW TO XP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 janismorrison72

janismorrison72

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:26 AM

We have a new computer with windows xp and sp2. We have 3 user accounts for myself, partner and others, all password protected. When I run Adaware it scans only my own files even though I am set up as an administrator. What do I do to make sure I scan all files? My partner has no interest in the security of the computer and leaves it all to me, but I do need to scan his files as well as mine. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pbull221

pbull221

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2004 - 07:29 AM

in my experience, having three user accounts and winXP is like having 4 computers. Because XP is profile based it is most thorough to log onto each user with his or her own account name and run the adaware scan. Are you using the Adaware SE personal program? If you have checked for updates this program is very nice at finding and cleaning malware. I recommend NOT running it all the time, just as a tool, you will find that the computer is fastest with a minimum of TSR type stuff on it. (Terminate and Stay Resident) sorry, old fart term from DOS days.

I said 4 computers because you also have the Administrator account. By the Way Symantec has a free spyware scanner online but you may have to make a profile. there isn't one Malware company that I think can cover all the viruses, spyware, adware, i.e. Malware that is lurking around out here.

Tons of free stuff still on the Internet to keep your system in tip top shape...

#3 janismorrison72

janismorrison72
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:00 PM

Thank you for the advice, I will just have to make sure my partner scans regularly himself. Does this mean that if I install Spywareblaster I will have to install it as each user?

Also, how do I access the Administrator account?

Thanks

#4 JackTheHaack

JackTheHaack

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 01 January 2005 - 04:19 PM

Hi janismorrison72 and :thumbsup: to BC.

Great question.

To access your Administrator account you will need to log off as yourself and then log back on again as the administrator using the administrators password that you set up when first installing XP..........thats assuming you did the install of XP yourself, did you ?????

In relation to your scanning question.....

I'm not sure if this works, maybe somebody more knowledgeble than me can answer this a little better but WinXP has a folder in the users directory called "all users". Maybe you could scan all the other users from there when you are logged on as the administrator.
JTH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users