Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Viewing Jpegs On Websites

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 link_417

link_417

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hi, I can't seem to see some pictures (I think it's limited to just jpegs) on some websites like LiveJournal. There's no box or anything where the picture should be, there's just nothing. Sometimes there will be a SendSpace link to download a .rar of the jpegs, and if I download that I can view them just fine (even in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer), it's just that I can't see them on the actual website.

I had this problem before and was able to find help to fix it; I think I remember that it had something to do with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer, disabling it or something, but I'm not 100% sure so I didn't want to do that and then not be able to undo it (it's a shared computer).

Anyway, I'm running Windows XP Pro SP1. Any help is greatly appreciated because this is very frustrating! Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:14 PM

What version of Java are you running? The latest is version 6.

Do you use Internet Explorer or another browser like Firefox or Opera?
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 link_417

link_417
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:32 PM

Whoa, 6? Lol, I just checked and it says 1.5.0 :thumbsup: Would updating that help?

And I run both IE6 and Firefox, they both give me the same problem.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

You should give it a try.
Download the new version,JRE6 from the Java Site Here.
Then go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the old version.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:06 PM

Try clearing your browers caches.

Clearing Your Browser's Cache Memory
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 link_417

link_417
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 02:46 PM

Thanks to you both for responding!

I actually clear my browsers' caches regularly as part of keeping the page loading time quick, so that isn't the source of my problem. Though updating the Java thingy helped a lot; it got rid of the mass of picture boxes with red X's in them that wouldn't load, so that's great :thumbsup: , but there are still some pictures that just show up as nothing---no box, nothing to click, and it seems everyone else can see the pictures except me.

I found the solution that worked last time (start->run->regsvr32 /u shimgvw.dll), but I did it this time and nothing happened. Would it matter that the system I used the first time was XP Pro SP2 and this one I'm using now is SP1?

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 03:23 PM

Glad you're getting it worked out link_417 :thumbsup:

Upgrading to Service Pack 2 is a good idea.
You can download it and get other information from the Micro$oft site Here.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 08:34 AM

You'll experience problems if you continue to use SP1. Software developers are now using SP2 to develop their software (and to test it) - so there's bound to be issues with any new software that's released.

Try the free Dial-A-Fix (available here: http://wiki.djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix#Standard_version ) to help with registering dll's
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users