Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstallable Driver

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 daniel m grifo

daniel m grifo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

in 'windows live' and 'skype' and in 'splitcam' the cirrus logic usb-dvr2 is always on the list. splitcam ( a program i use to share the webcam) tries to resolve this at boot time and gives an error message. I don't have any use for this driver or wdm (whatever that is?) and do not want it to load. i tried some regedit suggestion from other sites which did not help. sove of the suggestions point to 'pinacle pctv' which i used for a while but no longer have a use for.

thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:07 PM

If you stil have the CD try to remove it , have you tried this

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

AT YOUR OWN RISK, NO WARRANTY IMPLIED, I DON'T TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS!!!

I'd suggest searching your registry for the driver and the pinnacle pctv strings. Once you find them, back the keys up and then delete them.

WARNING!!! Editing the registry can have disastrous consequences. Ensure that you back up your registry - and that you know how to restore it if you're not able to boot into Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:43 AM

usasma, how does one restore the registry if you're not able to boot into Windows? I've always wondered about that...
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:14 AM

-You can run System Restore to restore it in Safe Mode.
-You can manually replace parts of it in Safe Mode.
-You can use a PE disk to copy the backup/part of a restore point over the original in a PE environment. (did work the one time that I tried it)
-You can use Recovery Console to copy a restore point's contents over the original. (didn't work the one time that I tried it)
-Make an image of the hard drive, and restore it to restore you to the point where you were prior to the registry crash (my preferred method)
-and I'm sure that there's other solutions available.

The point here is that it's not just a simple copy/paste operation - so it's advisable to study up on how to do it (and print the instructions). That way, should you "tank" the registry - you are able to recover from it with minimal difficulty.

The reason I brought it up is because the first time that I tried to do this, I didn't remember that parts of the registry are locked while you're in Windows - so you can't replace it! Nor did I have a copy/replace on reboot utility that "might" have worked. So I was stuck with starting over from scratch - a real PITA!

Edited by usasma, 09 January 2007 - 08:14 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users