Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rip Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RicardoVerdi

RicardoVerdi

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:13 PM

Hi,
my son's Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop has just been given a new 80gb HDD. (Also ram upped from 256 to 512)It was working with the new drive. I tried to put in the old 30gb drive to see if we could get some info off it but now the laptop won't start up at all. When it's switched on the fan starts, a small light always flashes 10 times (that's about 10 seconds) and then turns off. If I pull out the hard disk & try it, it behaves exactly the same. If I put an operating system disk in the DVD ROM drive it still behaves the same; just as the CD starts up, the thing dies. We've tried it with power-adaptor as well as battery. Now when I put back the new drive it won't work either! I had undone some screws & looked inside but I thought I had put everything back properly. Is there anything obvious I could have missed that would stop it even from coming on?

Thanks anybody

PS I have now managed to find the download the service manual so I'm hoping it might help me!

Edited by RicardoVerdi, 08 January 2007 - 01:02 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 RicardoVerdi

RicardoVerdi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

Solved

I cannot understand why, but after I removed the two 256 mb ram sticks and replaced them, everything is working again ok. I had thought it might be the ram, but both modules had appeared to be firmly & properly in place. I took them out, looked at them (!) & replaced them, (also switching them round for a change) & now, hey presto, all is well. Now I'm going to try again with the old 30gb drive that was causing problems a few weeks ago... It's all an education, I suppose. I datesay if I left this post here for a few days I'd probably get some answers, but using the forum & looking elsewhere on the forum encouraged me to download the manual, so it wasn't a waste of time writing it all down!

I'll be back, I'm sure...

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 06:08 AM

Thanks for the feedback, lease keep us posted how you progress with your HDD thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users