Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Scan Disk On Xp?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 LonesomeBird

LonesomeBird

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:25 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:08 AM

So I go to the CONTROL PANEL.
I select performance and maintenance.
I have 2 choices to select from, "Free up space on your hard-drive" or "rearrange items on your hard drive to make programs run faster."

I read an old Windows book (95/98) and they talked about a Scan Disk function. Are any of the above 2 choices the same thing?

If not, how do I run Scan-Disk on XP?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:11 AM

Lonesomebird, welcome to BC. Open my computer Rightclick the drive you want to check - propperties - extra - check volume on errors tick the boxes klick OK. You than will be prompted to reboot in order to check your harddisk

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:08 PM

Lonesomebird, welcome to BC. Open my computer Rightclick the drive you want to check - propperties - extra - check volume on errors tick the boxes klick OK. You than will be prompted to reboot in order to check your harddisk

That's actually Disk Check (chkdsk). To run ScanDisk go to Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (notice space between the c & /) then press the <Enter> key. Have your WinXP CD ready if it is asked for during the scan.

System File Check Utility
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:02 PM

That's actually Disk Check (chkdsk). To run ScanDisk go to Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (notice space between the c & /) then press the <Enter> key. Have your WinXP CD ready if it is asked for during the scan.

System File Check Utility

Oops my bad :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:02 PM

SFC.EXE (the System File Checker) is not the same as Scan Disk. The SFC.EXE tool only checks "protected operating system files" - and then only checks to make sure that they are the proper version for your OS.

The closest thing to Scan Disk is this tool:
1) Open My Computer
2) Right click on the drive and select "Properties"
3) Select the "Tools" tab
4) In the Error Checking box, click on the "Check Now" button.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

SFC.EXE (the System File Checker) is not the same as Scan Disk. The SFC.EXE tool only checks "protected operating system files" - and then only checks to make sure that they are the proper version for your OS.

1) Open My Computer

I had a brain fart also. :thumbsup:

Get Your Donor Card

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:41 AM

Alternatively, you can do this:

Start --> Run --> Type in cmd In the black screen that comes up, type chkdsk /r making sure there is a space between the k and the / then hit enter. When prompted, type Y, then hit enter. Now reboot and the system will check for disk errors and attempt repair. It will take a while.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 fozzie

fozzie

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:03 AM

1) Open My Computer

I had a brain fart also. :trumpet:

:thumbsup: :flowers: :inlove:

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 08:28 AM

While hating to sound like a broken record - this is the true spirit of the online community. With my eye problems I make a lot of mistakes and I rely on the folks here to help catch my mistakes. Add a healthy dose of Alzheimers to the mix and I do need the help! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 07:52 PM

While hating to sound like a broken record - this is the true spirit of the online community. With my eye problems I make a lot of mistakes and I rely on the folks here to help catch my mistakes. Add a healthy dose of Alzheimers to the mix and I do need the help! :flowers:

I'm almost blind in one eye and can barely see out the other. Of course it doesn't help when I'm working on three PCs (Pukett Hacktards/Compukes) while browsing multiple tech forums. :thumbsup:

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 09 January 2007 - 07:52 PM.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users