Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Boot Options With One Os...

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sobedragon

sobedragon

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:39 AM

I recently partitioned my drive and installed Windows Vista on the partition. After installing, I got the boot manager screen asking me which OS I would like to boot into...that was fine.

Now I formatted and merged the partition back with my original, and I'm still getting the boot manager asking me which OS I want to boot into even though I only have WinXP pro installed.

I have ran checkdisk just to be safe, and I've also made sure that in the "startup and recovery" option, I have Windows XP selected as the default OS (it's actually the only option). Why is the boot manager asking me to select an OS and how do I get rid of it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

You may need to modify the boot.ini file and remove any references to the second operating system. Have a look at this Microsoft article on the issue.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 sobedragon

sobedragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:04 AM

Did that, here's what it looks like:

;
;Warning: Boot.ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems.
;Warning: Use BCDEDIT.exe to modify Windows Vista boot options.
;
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

I have also checked the guide and attemped to remove any operating systems in the command prompt, however there were no other options to remove. Sad face...

Edited by sobedragon, 08 January 2007 - 07:13 AM.

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:40 AM

I am not sure why your computer is not using the boot.ini file anymore, as I have installed Vista on a second partition, later to format and the computer goes back to using the boot.ini file. So, sorry I don't know exactly what the cause of the issue is.

But I did find THIS article that may be helpful.

I am just throwing this out there: I wonder what would happen if you renamed the bcedit.exe file to something else. Would the computer go back to using the boot.ini file? I am NOT recommending this - yet. I am just throwing this out there to see if anyone else knows the answer. Perhaps this is a question that should be placed in the Vista forum here at BC and not the XP forum?
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:58 AM

There's 3 or 4 files/folders in the root of the system drive that belong to Vista. If you don't delete them it will cause problems with your installation.

They are (to the best of my recollection):
Boot folder
bcedit.exe
Bootsect.bak
bootmgr

They require some contortions to get rid of (such as taking ownership, enabling permissions, etc)

If boot.ini remains messed up, you can fix it with the command "fixboot" (without the quotes) from the Recovery Console
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:26 AM

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /FASTDETECT

The above info appears correct. It says that you have one instance of XP Pro installed, and that the computer should boot to it without prompting you. In other words, the line:

timeout=0

Means you should not see a booting list at startup
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 sobedragon

sobedragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

Yeah. I changed the timeout to zero as well, but I'm still seeing the boot manager asking me if I wanna boot into XP or Vista....

#8 sobedragon

sobedragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:47 PM

There's 3 or 4 files/folders in the root of the system drive that belong to Vista. If you don't delete them it will cause problems with your installation.

They are (to the best of my recollection):
Boot folder
bcedit.exe
Bootsect.bak
bootmgr

They require some contortions to get rid of (such as taking ownership, enabling permissions, etc)

If boot.ini remains messed up, you can fix it with the command "fixboot" (without the quotes) from the Recovery Console

Can you give me more information about this recoery console?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:10 PM

When you insert your XP installation CD into the CD drive and boot from it, at the first screen will be several choices - one is to press "R" to repair Windows from the Recovery Console. Pressing "R" will get you to the Recovery Console where you can use the fixboot command.

The option to boot Vista is contained in one of the 4 files/folders that I mentioned in my post. As long as it resides on your hard drive you'll still get that prompt. In my case (before I removed the files/folders) I would get to choose between Vista and an "earlier version of Windows" - then I'd be presented with the boot.ini screen if I chose the "earlier version".

Edited by usasma, 08 January 2007 - 07:12 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 sobedragon

sobedragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:46 AM

got it...it worked. Thanks all =)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users