Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended Ways To Enhance Machine Performance

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 megamyx

megamyx

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:17 AM

hi, like to know how to enhance my machine's performance (like stability, speed, etc.)?

hope any softwares & apps recommened be freeware.

i use XP's defragmenter, are there any better defragmenter out there?

anyway, like to know if there's any way to enhance internet speed, surfing, download & upload speed? memory speed, harddisk speed? stable OS? burn CD's & DVD's faster or avoid lagging or slow writing & buffer underrun probs? any tweaking needed?

my OS is XP pro, have only 256 RAM, 40Gig hard disk (2 partitions), internet speed is ranging 700 to 900+ kbps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:24 AM

256MB RAM is a bit on the low side - so one obvious method of speeding up your system is to add more RAM, although this will come at a price.

You should have a close look through all the applications and services that are set to run at system boot/login and disable any that are not needed. This will free up your CPU and RAM and should speed your overall system up a bit.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:38 AM

I would update everything first, then I would use disk cleanup then defrag.
in tearms of apps, I would use tuneup utilities. Sadly it isn't freeware, but you can make use of the trial.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:26 AM

To speed up surfing, consider using Firefox, or Opera.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:10 PM

Keeping your computer malware-free and performing routine maintenance is always a good way to keep your computer working at optimum levels:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44690/slow-computer/

Certainly, I would invest in additional RAM (512 at a minimum), since Windows does take a lot of system resources.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:21 PM

A 40GB hard disk isn't much these days, you may find that you fill it quickly and a full hard drive can slow down your PC. Of course getting a bigger / additional disks will cost you.

If you want to make the most of your current hardware you could consider over-clocking it but you have to be very careful that you don't push it too far!

#7 megamyx

megamyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:09 AM

thanks for the replies.

i do think i really need to add up my Ram.

256MB RAM is a bit on the low side - so one obvious method of speeding up your system is to add more RAM, although this will come at a price.

You should have a close look through all the applications and services that are set to run at system boot/login and disable any that are not needed. This will free up your CPU and RAM and should speed your overall system up a bit.

with regards to the services, i'm not that knowledgeable. it would be great to know each services' function; so, it'll be easier to decide which of them to disable. can you help me out ? or anybody?
have any links that would guide me or explain some of the more frequent services enabled or run? or which services disabled would not trouble my system?

To speed up surfing, consider using Firefox, or Opera.

i'm using firefox. yes, it is fast but it tends to use alot of my machine's resources. my machine gets very slow or lags, like it's having a hard time reading. it happens when using firefox after a few hours (say around 3 to 5 hours). it's kind a troubling me.

how about opera? does it uses alot of resources, like cpu & ram usage? is it freeware?

Edited by megamyx, 24 January 2007 - 11:13 AM.

#8 megamyx

megamyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:12 AM

I would update everything first, then I would use disk cleanup then defrag.
in tearms of apps, I would use tuneup utilities. Sadly it isn't freeware, but you can make use of the trial.

ic, guess you really need to pay if you want better apps & utilities. anyway, may i know the apps or tuneup utilities you're talking about?

Edited by megamyx, 24 January 2007 - 11:14 AM.

#9 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:09 PM

With regards to services, go to start then run and trpe services.msc the window will display all the services and what each one does etc,

Tuneup utilities is available from http://www.tune-up.com/ its a nice bit of kit, and is fairly safe. however, I would recomend you visit the following page... http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html it has some great apps

With regards to firefox hogging resources, you can fix that quite easily by...
1 type about:config into the address bar press enter
2 right click anywhere on the page and select new then boolean
3 then enter config.trim_on_minimize in the box and press enter
4 makesure that the entry value is set to true.

each time firefox is lagging, just minimize and wait a few seconds then open it up again.

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:09 AM

with regards to the services, i'm not that knowledgeable. it would be great to know each services' function; so, it'll be easier to decide which of them to disable. can you help me out ? or anybody?
have any links that would guide me or explain some of the more frequent services enabled or run? or which services disabled would not trouble my system?

Check out the Tweaking Companion. It's a free guide to Windows XP. It's written at a fairly basic level and contains good information on all sorts of things, including services.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:35 AM

You don't need to pay for great programs. There are several essential ones on the following site. Try it out. All of the programs are free. Several are the same as the link from niggle...

http://www.majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20

Edited by zbd, 25 January 2007 - 06:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users