Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recommended Security Setup

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 megamyx

megamyx

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:03 AM

hi, like to know what are the best security programs & apps for you or you guys use? what security setup (apps) do you prefer or recommend?

by the way, i hope all apps recommended be "freeware".

i'm using AVG antivirus, and i like to add another antivirus as a compliment, support & act as another barrier. do you guys know what antivirus could best combine with AVG?

i use Spybot S&D, Adaware SE, SpywareBlaster, SpywareGuard, AVG Anti-Spyware, Sygate Firewall.
are there any programs i still need, to enhance my security? do i need aČ? any better firewall?

i just started using ccleaner, find it easy to use. is there a better program than ccleaner that has the same functions like removing History, Registry, Temporary Files, etc.?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:44 AM

Two hard, and fast rules:
1. Only One Antivirus providing real time protection.
2. Only One Firewall running (preferably, anything besides Windows firewall, as it only provides inbound traffic protection, and not outbound traffic protection).

Running more than one, of either, can cause conflicts, possibly rendering both inoperable.

You can have as many Spyware/Malware Programs as you want, and your system resources can handle.
I use all of the same programs you're using, and have had no problems.

Once a month I run 3 online scans, just as a precaution:
BitDefender
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
TrojanScan

Also, if you're using Internet Explorer (IE), I would suggest you use an alternate browser, for better security.
I use Firefox, because it's a more secure browser than IE, as it doesn't use ActiveX controls, but Java applets instead.
Also, if a security flaw is discovered (which doesn't happen often), it's usually fixed within a few days, as opposed to the months you have to wait for an IE security patch.

In most instances, you will find Firefox to be a faster browser than IE, especially if you employ pipelining.
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining
The reason it's faster is because Firefox doesn't come pre-loaded with a bunch of features you don't need.
You can run Firefox as lean, or as bloated as you want with the use of extensions, which allow you to customize it the way you want it, not the way someone else thinks it should be.
Enhancing Firefox with Browser Extensions
Extensions

NOTE:
When adding extensions I'd advise adding one at a time, try it for a couple of days, and if no problems arise, add another.
Sometimes extensions have been known to cause problems, due to incompatibility's, or corrupt downloads.
If you install them one at a time, and test it, it's easier to troubleshoot if one starts causing problems.

You don't have to uninstall IE to use Firefox, or any other browser.
You can use as many browsers as you want, at the same time.
Sometimes I'll have IE, Firefox, and Opera all open at the same time.
In fact you can't get rid of IE, as you have to use it to get Windows Updates.

You can find other alternative browsers here, under the Web Browsers heading:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
Try as many as you want, and see which you like best, as they're all free.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:24 PM

I can only second TG's advice.

If you want a "second opinion" for a virus-check, you can use one of several good on-line scans.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 megamyx

megamyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:27 AM

thanks very much for the replies & links. :thumbsup:

With regards to firefox. i'm also using it, but as a secondary to IE. From what you've posted i think i'll take your advice and use firefox and make it as my primary browser. The only problem i have with firefox is, it takes a lot of my machine's resources, like cpu usage & ram. My computer tends to slow & lags, like it's having a difficult time reading. This happens when firefox is openned or using it for morethan 3 hours. I really like to solve that prob.

Maybe by adding more Ram, but is there any other solution besides adding Ram?

about the ccleaner. is there a better app than ccleaner that has the same functions like removing History, Registry, Temporary Files, etc.?

Edited by megamyx, 24 January 2007 - 11:27 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users