Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Will I Need To Install Inorder To Replace My Current Commercial Security Suite (free Replacements)?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

Hello, I currently I have eTrust Security suite. Here is a link to the product page, except I have the '06 version. http://home2.ca.com/DRHM/servlet/Controlle...ductID=50709600

My subscription ends soon. Now Im going to install free software instead, as many have recommended. What will I need in order to replace this suite?

Would AVG Anti-virus free, AVG anti-spyware free, zonelabs firewall free, ad-aware se, spybot s & d and spyware blaster replace this suite?

If I was to replace the suite with the products listed above, what advantages wouldn't I have compared to if I had the eTrust sercurity suite?

Or is there better free software than what I have listed?

Thank you, for reading. Help greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:32 AM

The free software you have listed all look okay to me. Other people may recommend different antivirus and firewall applications but it's more a matter of personal choice - I think the ones you have chosen are fine. Another good one to add would, in my opinion, be the free version of SuperAntiSpyware.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:52 AM

Take a look at this topic. There are all kinds of free applications listed, many of them security programs.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

You can see what I use in my signature.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:21 PM

You will have better security, especially with having several anti-spyware applications instead of just one, but you may loose the anti-spam and pop-up blocker features that apparently are a part of the suite. I do not know how impressive these latter are, but they can be easily supplanted.
If you switch to Firefox as your browser, for example, you will not need an additional pop-up blocker application, since it blocks almost all popups automatically. Again, most E-mail providers have their own anti-spam controls that you can use to reduce Spam, and Mozilla's Thunderbird will also allow you to "teach it" which additional categories of E-mail to consider Spam.

Not being tied to one product will, just as importantly, allow you to try various configurations and user interfaces to determine the very best for your needs and your preferences.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:44 PM

Hi thanks guys.
As far as real time protection goes will I be protected?

Thanks for reading.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:22 PM

Both AVG and Sypbot will provide real time protection, as will your firewall.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 beanpole

beanpole

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 12 January 2007 - 09:34 AM

I currently have avg ssm(free edition) AntiVir comodo,they are all free and work well on my pc.

#8 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:51 PM

Hi, thanks for all your help guys.
Will spyware guard give me as good real time protection from spyware as what my eTrust security suite would? This would be in combination with spyware blaster and firefox to prevent spyware. If not better, is there better free product for real time spyware protection?

Also regarding firewalls what is in your opinion the best free firewall?

Thanks for your help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users