Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Laptop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Katrinalg

Katrinalg

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:11 AM

I am having a problem with my LCD screen on my laptop. When I turn on my laptop the screen stays black. I connected a monitor to my laptop, and it works fine with the monitor. I was wondering if anyone knows what could be wrong with my screen , and if it is okay to use my laptop with the monitor, or if this will further damage my LCD screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:51 AM

Welcome to BC Katrinalq. There could be a number of issues at hand :

1) Are your video drivers updated? You can check that by comparing your installed video drivers under MY COMPUTER RIGHTCLICK PROPPERTIES HARDWARE audio video with latest drivers on nthe laptop's manufacterer's website
2) There is a crack in the screen
3) You have installed software which gives issues with your video drivers

The cheapest is, if you have no problems with handling your laptop with the monitor, to remain doing so. There will be no problems as such. It would be however b etter to find out what is at hand overhere.

Edited by fozzie, 08 January 2007 - 05:51 AM.

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:56 AM

Or, you may hav inadvertently used the function key to switch outputs.

Fn (in blue, normally)along with the key that has the little blue picture of the monitor, which is normally in the F1>F6 key area.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 PocketChange

PocketChange

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 01:44 PM

You didn't mention what brand laptop.

Have you tried pressing around the bottom of the screen frame (not the screen itself)? I had a similar issue with a Thinkpad. The display was black, but you could hear it booting up. I pressed at the bottom and the display would work. I discovered it was the video ribbon from the body to the screen that had gone bad. I got one on ebay for less than $20, installed it and it was fixed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users