Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have To Keep Resetting The Date On My Pc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdukze

jdukze

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:37 PM

Is there any way I can stop resetting the date on a computer that I use. I have to do it every single time I turn on the PC and its quite annoying.
I correct it in the CMOS every single time and dont really know what is wrong even though I have scanned for viruses.
Now the hard disk is making clicking sounds and has stopped working,
Please help me guys, any bright ideas??????? :thumbsup:

JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:01 AM

It sounds as if your CMOS battery needs replacing. Usually a coin-cell battery that maintains the computer configuration, date and time information.

#3 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:12 PM

re: hard drive clicking, that's the typical symptom of imminent failure. Back up your data immediately! If it's already dead, you can try putting it in a plastic bag and storing it in the freezer overnight. This _sometimes_ will restore function long enough to recover the data. Best way to do this is to install Windows on a new HD then shut down, power off, and reinstall your old cold one in as a slave. Then it's just cut and paste.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 12:09 PM

Be very, very careful with the freezer trick. It doesn't work much more often than it does work. Also, be sure to get all the air out of the plastic bag before doing it - any moisture will condense on the drive and may ruin it further.

Once you remove it from the freezer it's essential to get it hooked up and running as fast as possible. Have any programs that you'll need set to autostart - so you'll minimize the time needed to access anything that you can recover. If there are particular things to recover - have the commands handy so you can enter them immediately. Time is of the essence here!

Humidity is your enemy here also - try it in as dry an area as possible. Pick a dry day rather than a rainy day if possible.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jdukze

jdukze
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

Thanks so much guys I managed to get all the data out but I slaved it to another hard drive to do so, luckily it didnt die so the data was still recoverable, if the slaving didnt work I might as well would have risked the freezer trick, any ways thanks again all you helpful people.
JDUKZE

The only man who never makes mistakes is the man who never does
anything.

Theodore Roosevelt

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users