Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Not Being Detected

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nocternal emperor

nocternal emperor

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:36 PM

i tried partitioning my laptops new hard drive so that i could copy the operating system and the recovery partition onto the new hard drive from the current one in my laptop. i used western digital's data lifeguard tools and clicked partition unallocated space, it gave me an error and the drive was not partitioned correctly. i then went to device manager and partitioned the drive using disk management. the drive would not show up after i did that, i have no clue what to do. is there a way to completely whipe out the drive without using a computer? maybe get rid of the partitions without using the computer?

notes: my current drive is a fujitsu 40 gb 4200 rpm ultra ata
new drive is an 80 gb 7200.1 rpm ultra ata seagate momentus
i'm using an external hard drive enclosure to encase the 7200 rpm through a usb port

Edited by nocternal emperor, 07 January 2007 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:44 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.
There are several utilities that will allow you to wipe and format a hard drive from RAM. You can either boot from a CD or floppy and run the software.
Look at Boot Disk.com. What format are you trying to use, FAT32 or NTFS?
What brand and model computer are you working on?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nocternal emperor

nocternal emperor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

compaq presario v5101us i want it to be NTFS. the hard drive is not detected anymore. can i still format it if it is not detected?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:20 PM

do you still have the original recovery disks? compaq uses the usual two partition scheme:

partition 0 {recovery partition (D)} main boot.ini, minint, (redirect to partition 1) for system startup, all boot files are on partition 1

partition 1 {C partition}

all device drivers are on partition 1 by using the wd disk, or trying to re partition the hard drive, you interrupted the path scheme laid out in the main boot ini, and the computer cannot see where the correct drivers for the HDD controller are.

you can also obtain a compaq recovery tools cd, and this may enable you to access the recovery partition.

also have a minor Issue. HP lists this computer as having a 60 g hdd. PM me if you need more information about the recovery tools cd.

OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users