Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Glasses

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Glasses (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you wear glasses?

1. Yes (13 votes [61.90%])

Percentage of vote: 61.90%

2. No (8 votes [38.10%])

Percentage of vote: 38.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

Just a little pole question to get people talking...

I wear them and bloody hate it... I am 16 and have just one pair of regular eyeglasses but now the ski season has started so I am going to have to buy ski goggles with my prescription... their already expensive and now probably double the cost. Also sunglasses another big spender...

Never realized how many things we put over our eyes... Plus I am going to need safety goggles for my new job and I wanted to start scuba diving so I need scuba goggles... Getting expensive...

Do any of you wear glasses and end up spending a lot of money on specialty eye wear?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

Glasses make excellent props.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

Yes.

At 60+ now I have "specs". Cheap reading glasses.

I don't need other for distance, etc.

One can always get goggles and sunglasses that fit over a regular set of
prescription glasses to keep those costs down.

Or just wind up the thrill, and "ski blind?"

(argh)

I guess I should mention I'm an oft time user of many magnifying lenses for close work.
And I do "Ctrl" key and "mouse wheel" up the Firefox to avoid using the "specs" = Bigger print.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#4 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:31 PM

I've worn glasses since I was in 6th grade. I'm not as active as some, especially since I'm only 27, so I don't need much as far as specialty glasses. However, due to my Rx, my glasses run into the hundreds of dollars, just for a basic pair of lenses! However, contacts might be an easier way to go if you are skiing, scuba diving, etc. Just be sure to get polarized sunglasses to keep the snow glare from blinding you. If you need advice as far as what type of lenses you might need before you go in to get them, pls feel free. I'm an ABO certified optician in the US.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

I was always told that contacts might not be the best idea for scuba diving because of the pressure differences...

I contacts don't really interest me because I don't really like the idea and the hassle of having something stuck to my eye...

About the goggles that go over glasses... My mom has a pair of them and I find them very uncomfortable because they block some of your peripheral vision so you can't see all that well on the sides...

#6 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

I have better than 20/20 vision. So nope I dont wear glasses.

#7 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:22 PM

Yes I wear glasses, for distance and near. Without them I almost cannot see anything.
Regards,
Darthy
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:45 PM

I have glasses, and have worn them since 2nd grade. I usually stick to contacts, though, unless it's the weekend or some time where i'm just chilling.

#9 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:53 PM

I've had to wear glasses since high school & it has never bothered me! My eyes aren't bad enough (yet) that I need to wear them all the time, but it wouldn't bother me if I had to. :thumbsup:
My mom and I have the same prescription and, since she scratched up my glasses, I use hers whenever I need to (which is not very often).

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#10 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

Good point about the pressure differences. As far as being a pain to put in, etc., it isn't too bad once you get used to it, unless you live in a very dry climate or work/live in an air conditioned area a lot. To each his own, however. A small word of advice, where ever you go to get your diving lenses made, be sure to speak to a certified optician, as your mask will move the lenses farther from your eye than your glasses, thus changing the effective power of the lenses.(Think of a magnifying lens being moved back and forth and you'll get the idea.) You'll probably have to find someone who does diving lenses on a regular basis anyway, but it never hurts to be sure. gk

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:15 PM

You forgot to put "sometimes" on your poll, I wear cheap reading glasses since I've gotten older. Up until 5 years ago I didn't need glasses at all. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:58 AM

Wow most people wear glasses. Thats surprising.

#13 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:51 AM

I've worn glasses for 35 years and possibly longer, since I was 4 or 5. I'm legally blind without them: can't even see the big letter E on the eye charts.

One of the problems I've found with goggles over glasses is that the glasses steam up inside the goggles.

I have found sun-glasses that clip on the glasses which work fine for me. I have to be sure to get ones that will work with my thick lenses though.

I have two pairs of glasses - one set for near work and one set for distance. I can do near work with my distance glasses, but it is more of a strain.

I've tried contact lenses, and while having the peripheral vision in focus is great, it is too much of a hassle for me, and then I find that I have to wear sun-glasses almost constantly to protect my eyes from the light and the wind.

If I were ever to do a lot of swimming, I'd need to get prescription swimming goggles.

I love the way the christmas tree lights look without my glasses. Big, over-lapping, sparkling, glowing, colored balls of light from all around the tree. The tree itself simply disappears. I hope someday to take a picture of it so that the picture looks like what I see. I'd have to use manual focus and probably with a wide-angle close-up lens.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#14 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:35 PM

I wear glasses for reading, viewing my computer screen and working with small items. After my transplant operation I had to take high doses of Prednisone for two years. This caused subcapsular cataracts to form which blur my vision.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#15 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:01 PM

I wear glasses since the age of 6 and never have tried contact lenzes. I can not do anthing without them. Once when I was visiting a boat offshore the wind caught the glasses and took them. You should have seen the eyes of the police when they stopped me for wearing sunglasses at 2300 hours driving home in midst of december :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users