Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Downloading Flashplayer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bonbon

bonbon

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:48 PM

I have Windows xp/ IE7, when trying to install flash player 9, installation pop up says: set up could not find your browsers plugins directory. It then gives me a destination of C:\WINDOWS\system32\MacroMed\flash. when i click install nothing happens. when I go to that destination there is no setup file. Any ideas? Thanks Bonbon

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 07 January 2007 - 07:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

Hi bonbon and Welcome to Bleeping Computer!

Try this site to make sure Flash is enabled in the registry: kellys-korner,Tweaks and Tips. go to line 363 on the left. Download to your desktop and double-click to merge to your registry or right click and choose Merge, or Edit to see exactly what modifications it will make to your registry.

Try posting your issue to the Macromedia Flash Forum.
As you'll see, you are not alone in having trouble installing Flash,and they have support engineers there monitoring the group.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 bonbon

bonbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I did what you said and I even went thru all the steps on adolbe website. Permissions are alright. everything that should be enabled is enabled. I uninstalled all previous flashplayer thru the installer program. then reinstalled and I still get "set up was unable to find your plugins directory" then installs to C:\windows\system32\macromed\flash. after I hit ok nothing else happens. when I navigate to the above path I find app. ext. for flashplayer9. I went thru the forums at adobe website and looked for help there, it seems that you have to be an employee???? asked for my i.d. when I tried to post. any suggestions would be helpful. thanks, bonbon

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:27 PM

Below are the directions for finding plugins directory in IE
You can roll back to IE6. Just delete IE7 in Add/Remove
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

click on Start/ My Computer
double click on C drive (assuming that is where your OS is)
open your Program Files directory.
Find the Internet Explorer folder, and double click to open it. Inside this folder, you will see a directory called "IE Plugins." If not----?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:44 PM

You just have to register like here at Bleeping Computer.

But try what buddy215 has suggested first.....
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 bonbon

bonbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:52 PM

well, my plug in folder is there and filled with all kinds of plug ins, is this the path I should take when I choose to browse for the path when prompted? during installation?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:48 PM

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html
My recommendation is to rollback to IE6 and read the preinstallation recommendations for installing IE7 in the link above.

# Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
# Click Add or Remove Programs.
# Check Show Updates at the top of the dialog box.
# Scroll down the list to Windows XP Software Updates, select Internet Explorer 7

Edited by buddy215, 08 January 2007 - 10:03 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 bonbon

bonbon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

Well thanks a million!!! I uninstalled IE7 just like the site said to and then reinstalled flashplayer on IE6 and it works!! I am hesitant to install IE7 now however. Thanks again to Buddy 215 and TMacK

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,196 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:34 PM

Unless there is a compelling reason to update IE7 (I personally can't think of one) why bother?
Hopefully, you don't have automatic updates enabled for Windows or you just might get it foisted on you.
You know, today is update day.

You should give Firefox a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users