Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive For Playstation 2

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

Anyone ever put a hard drive in their Playstation 2? I just realized you could, but you need a network adapter and a special program called something like HDLoader. I don't really use my PS2 much anymore, but I just thought this was interesting. I would try this if I knew about it a couple years back. The cool part about this is that you can download the games right onto the hard drive, which you can't with xbox (or the new generation systems I think).
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gkazule

gkazule

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

As far as I remember, Sony offered a hard drive, but only one or two games could use it. I think it was one of the Final Fantasy series that shipped with the hard drive. gk

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:19 PM

Yeah, the only ps2 game that really utilized the harddrive was FFXI .... And that was pretty much a major flop (ps2 wise).

In summation, the harddrive was basically a waste of money and time...

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:03 AM

I know the PS2 has USB ports on it. Is it possible to connect an external HD via USB?

3939.png

#5 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 10:28 AM

I've been researching this myself. I'd really like to know if it's possible to access Playstation 1 or 2 save files through an external HDD because then it would make switching between PS2 and PS3 much less painful. So far, I don't think the $15 memory card reader for the PS3 will save files back onto the memory cards, only read files from it and put them on the PS3. Also, I was messing around and I was able to access the PS1/2 memory card 'slots' on the PS3 HDD and copy them to a usb storage device. So, it'd be pretty neat if I could use an external HDD as a work around to the current limitations of the memory card reader for the PS3.

I've been looking for this because I'm not going to take my PS3 to college with me for quite a while (at least...) because I don't want it to get stolen while I'm there. So, I'd love to be able to move saves back and forth with ease. I've beaten Shadow of the Colossus on the PS2, then I beat it again after I bought my PS3. Now, I've almost gone through the game again by doing the time attack battles. I'd rather not have to start games over when I travel from home to college.

--

The one issue with this topic though is that when I researched the possibilities of this, I kept getting a lot of talk of using the HDD (with a mod I think) to actually copy a PS1/2 game and play it any time you want.

I'll keep working on it and see what I can come up with, but it doesn't look like it's possible without a program (for like a boot disk) and/or mod.

*edit* - also from what I've been reading, it could be easier to do it with the slim PS2 (PStwo is it?). Again, that's because of modding and I'll just leave it at that.

Edited by Wizdabest, 15 January 2007 - 10:36 AM.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2007 - 02:06 PM

PS Duce-Duce (As I lovingly call my PS2 ver2) runs about the same way as the orginal and I still cant access the usb slots except w/ my code breaker

Posted Image

#7 Anesthesia

Anesthesia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

I had 2 PS2 'fat style' with hard drives in them. Because I play FFXI. All I ever used it for was that, and storing a few hundred save games so I could get rid of a bunch of memory cards. Resident Evil Outbreak used the HD also, but it was one of the worst games ever, and it even tended to corrupt the HD on installation.

I have hooked up USB peripherals to the PS2, keyboards and mice and headsets... no hard drives though. Since I already had some.

#8 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

Just noticed this thread. I can be of use. I have one. You do need the original Fat PS2 but with a NA and software called HD Advanced you can play games straight from the HDD.
No special Sony kit needed apart from the NA.
The HDD is a standard IDE drive so you can get one as big as you like. Roughly 4gig per game. Some are less but base your amount of games you can save of 4 gig each.
I am really pleased with mine I have even installed it in 2 of my mates machines aswell. Faster loading is the main perk. Not to mention the fact you don't have to have the CD to play the game.
Posted Image

#9 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

I have noticed one thing though it is not possible to use the HDD to save things that would normally be saved to a memory card. These are still needed for things like saved game progress. It is purely for playing games without the need for the disk to be inserted and to speed up loading times. This makes the games load 10 time faster. And that is with only a 7200rpm drive.
Posted Image

#10 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 09:26 AM

*edit*. . . woops, posted after one word*

Hey,

Do you know how to get saves from a memory card? I have a PS3 that I'm not taking to college with me, but I have my PS2. I'd buy the memory card adaptor, but I've heard it doesn't save things onto memory cards, it only transfers saves from it. I can takes PS2/1 saves from the PS3'd HDD and have them on my USB flash drive, but I'd love to get them back to a PS1/2 memory card.

Edited by Wizdabest, 30 January 2007 - 09:29 AM.

#11 wesburnsco86

wesburnsco86

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2007 - 06:20 PM

Xbox 360 has a HardDrive,and also with a script to xbox live(free with purchase of console) you can go online and download HighDef movies.
Im not sure if there free or not.But my buddy has one.
Posted Image
Thanks to SteveAlmighty for my sig

#12 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:55 PM

Do you know how to get saves from a memory card? I have a PS3 that I'm not taking to college with me, but I have my PS2. I'd buy the memory card adaptor, but I've heard it doesn't save things onto memory cards, it only transfers saves from it. I can takes PS2/1 saves from the PS3'd HDD and have them on my USB flash drive, but I'd love to get them back to a PS1/2 memory card.

I'm not entirely sure about this, but look into something called "Sharkport". It's an application/hardware piece for the pc that allows you to download saves to your memory card. With this, you might be able to put your saved games on your pc hard-drive via a usb drive, then move the files from there to the memory card.

Again, i'm not 100% about that. Just a suggestion.

#13 drkshenronx

drkshenronx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:43 AM

Ok guys I think I can help you out with all of your questions.

1) As far as getting your files off of the PS3 right now this is not possible. People are working on a solution for this right now but there is nothing compatable as of yet.

2) Someone mentioned HDloader earlier in the post and I have a bit of information for you as far as HDloader and the memory card exploit goes.

- Memory card Exploit
The memory card exploit uses a PS1 game and a couple homebrewn files that are stored on your memory card to load "homebrew applications" on your PS2. Now the tricky part is getting these files on your memory card. Now if you have a device that will hook up to your computer (such as sharkport) so you can transfer saves from your memory card to your computer and vice versa this is easy. If not then you will have to find a way around this. But there are several ways around this so don't fret.

-What you can do with the memory card exploit installed
There are several things you can do using the exploit. Here is a list of all of the applications (the good ones, I'm not going to list them all cause some are crappy) that you can use and what they can make your PS2 do.

1)HDloader - This program is used to save full PS2 (only ps2) games to your hard drive. The Load time is much faster and most games are compatable (and if not look online there is most likely a patch).

2)Media Players - You can play MP3's, Avi, Mpeg, and M4A files on your PS2. The most known programs to do this are SMS and Reality Media Player. There are also programs that allow you to view JPEG's.3)

Operating Systems - Yes there are "small" operating systems for the ps2. Some allow you to make Partitions and folders. You can copy files from your memory card to your hard drive and vice versa. You can connect a USB stick to the PS2 and put your images, video files, and music on the HD as well. The most common 2 are MyPS2 and PS2OS.

4)Emulators - You can Use emulators to play Snes, Sega, NES, gameboy games and more. You can either run them of from a cd or from the HD or USB stick (until recently there was no Hard drive or USB support for these games.

-HDloader/HDAdvance
You can buy retail versions that come on disc to save games to the HD. You can use the retail version of HDLoader/HDAdvance to install the exploit by connecting your PC to your PS2 using a router/hub/switch OR a Crossover Cable (note if your direct connecting the 2 you must use a crossover cable to do so a regular ethernet cord will not work.).

Enjoy !!!

If anyone has any questions just ask.

#14 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

:thumbsup: just slightly

just a though Can I run linux though my original PS2 (i have both styles) just currious

Posted Image

#15 drkshenronx

drkshenronx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:10 PM

Yes you can. Sony actually made a distrobution of Linux specifically for the PS2. You can buy it online on the sony website or you can find it on ebay or other sites. There are other "homebrewn applications" that are also based on linux but are not an actual linux OS. I'm not sure as to what you can do with the PS2 linux .... yet .... I'm getting it soon to check it out. I'm not sure but I don't think you can play games on it though, by itself anyways there may be some sort of PS2 emulator that is compatible with it which I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find one. I'm glad there was someone out there that asked me that cause I didn't even think to mention it before. And I'm also very happy to see another linux lover :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users