Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Picking Out Parts For My New System

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

When searching on Newegg, i realized that I honestly am not up on the Tech now. I've been away for such a while, that I dont know whats standard, whats high end, or whats just...junk.

So I turn to the smartest guys on the block (Flattery will get me everywhere, you lie!).

Im looking to get a Case/Power Supply/Mobo/and Possibly a heatsink.

Q1: Barebones systems, should I go for them? What do they include?
Q2: I've always been a fan of AMD, but I hear Intel has made a stance against them, and is doing really well now. My PC is used for Graphic Design, high end 3d Animation, some gaming, etc etc... What kind of Motherboard and Processor would you recommend (Right now i have the AMD Athlon XP 1800+). Whats standard (When i got my system the P4 was standard)
Q3: Give me some brands that are known to be quality. I mean, i see a Barebones system for 150 bucks...I dont know the name, is it worth going for? This is the first time i'll be building a computer, i usually just buy them.
Q4: I got a video card, sound card is onboard (Eventually i wanna fix that), 512 of ram, DVD burner, DVD player...80gig hd. This i would think would do me until i could afford to replace them...however...will i run into any compatibility problems?

Thanks for the advice. Please be gentle, im new to this. Im a newbie trying to improve ^^

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

You didn't say you wanted a processor but apparently you do with an 1800+.
But yes, Intel is starting to get way better. If you're going to get a high-end system, you want a Dual-Core. Intel's Dual-Cores are just 2 normal processors shoved into one. AMD's are true. Just like the new Quad-Cores.
But I can't really give you any recommendations if I don't know about how much you want to spend.

#3 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:14 PM

When searching on Newegg, i realized that I honestly am not up on the Tech now. I've been away for such a while, that I dont know whats standard, whats high end, or whats just...junk.

So I turn to the smartest guys on the block (Flattery will get me everywhere, you lie!).

Im looking to get a Case/Power Supply/Mobo/and Possibly a heatsink.

Q1: Barebones systems, should I go for them? What do they include?
Q2: I've always been a fan of AMD, but I hear Intel has made a stance against them, and is doing really well now. My PC is used for Graphic Design, high end 3d Animation, some gaming, etc etc... What kind of Motherboard and Processor would you recommend (Right now i have the AMD Athlon XP 1800+). Whats standard (When i got my system the P4 was standard)
Q3: Give me some brands that are known to be quality. I mean, i see a Barebones system for 150 bucks...I dont know the name, is it worth going for? This is the first time i'll be building a computer, i usually just buy them.
Q4: I got a video card, sound card is onboard (Eventually i wanna fix that), 512 of ram, DVD burner, DVD player...80gig hd. This i would think would do me until i could afford to replace them...however...will i run into any compatibility problems?

Thanks for the advice. Please be gentle, im new to this. Im a newbie trying to improve ^^

I M SO SMART S M R T

barbone systems, No I wouldn't go with them, However its strictly up to you

If your'e going into high end graphics design etc, Your'e going to want a top of the line system, Or somewhere close to it, Im a fan of AMD as well, Just like you, However it is true that Intel has done some nice things to their processors to compete, But Id still go with the AMD X2 personally, That's just me, And you can't decide on your motherboard till you know what Processor you want, Becuase if decide on your motherboard before you're limited on Processors, So come up with the processor before the motherboard

Recognizable and really good brand names

For processors, Theres only Intel and AMD
For motherboards, ASUS is usually the one to go with, they basically almost control the market on motherboards, Or Id say atleast, their motherboards are realyl well built and rarely fail
Video cards, You're looking at ATI or Nvidia, ATI has had driver issues in the past, So generally Nvidia wins out, But again, UP to you
Harddrives... Seagate and maxtor basically
and if you need anything else just list the part and I could probably help you,

YEs you may, Depending on the GFX card you have, and the ram you have

DVD burners players and hard drives generall dont' have compatability issues unless they're really realllllly old

if the gfx card you have is old, Such as an AGP slot or a regular PCI you may not have that on your motherboard, Likewise if your'e going for a dual core your ram configuration is going to be different, So just post back with what you're thinking maybe, and Ill get back to you on it

or if you prefer, I Could do a quick runthrough on new egg and come up with a configuration myself, of what would be a damn good compute,r Just need a price range Ill get at'er

#4 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:43 AM

That would be awesome ^__^. I'd greatly appreciate it.

So AMD seems to be the way to go.

What Processor does AMD brag about? Again, when I got this system it was the Athlon XP+, so im way out of the loop.

WItht hat in mind, any mobos that you would recommend?

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 05:03 AM

If you're getting a higher-performance PC the Intel Core 2 Duos are the way to go. The current AMD offerings in the high-end category don't stack up in terms of performance and price, for the first time in a while.

For another strange turn, the current set of Asus Intel compatible socket 775 motherboards have been problematic, so if you're going the Intel route you'd be better off with a brand like Abit or Gigabyte. I'm usually a big Asus fan, but for whatever reason this time around their current Intel line should be avoided.
Posted Image

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:49 AM

I am an Asus fan also - but reading about the socket 775 issues caused me to go elsewhere. I chose an MSI 975x board and find that it has issues also (mostly minor).

I suspect that this is a function of the newness of the technology, and that as it mature the boards will become more stable (sorta like XP SP2). So, in the future, I'm sticking with mature technology rather than the leading edge.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:09 PM

Q1: The question that I now raise is how do most motherboards fit in most cases? Should I worry a big deal, or are most Mobo lines built the same...

i.e. are all Abit built with the same build in mind, or do they fluctuate between models?

Q2: Tell me what you think about this combination...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16819115003 : Processor

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16813127004 : Mobo

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16811156062 : Case

Q3: The Intel Processor doesnt support hyperthreading. I thought this was big time for a processor?

Edited by Artistbydefault, 08 January 2007 - 01:35 PM.

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Q1: The question that I now raise is how do most motherboards fit in most cases? Should I worry a big deal, or are most Mobo lines built the same...

i.e. are all Abit built with the same build in mind, or do they fluctuate between models?

Q2: Tell me what you think about this combination...

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16819115003 : Processor

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16813127004 : Mobo

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16811156062 : Case

Q3: The Intel Processor doesnt support hyperthreading. I thought this was big time for a processor?

That combination should work fine.
I might get a different case though, that one is likely going to come with a crappy power supply. If you're getting them together I'd go with an Antec case/PSU.

Hyperthreading is a feature used by single-core CPUs to emulate multi-threaded/parallel processing. Processors with 2+ cores don't have to emulate parallel processing because they do actual multi-threading, meaning they can run multiple processes in real time as if you had 2 distinct processors.
Posted Image

#9 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

My room mate came in and said "are you retarded...think about that question". Then i came up with the answer you gave about hyperthreading...

I feel dumb.

Gotcha about the case...wait kinda...PSU?

sorry again, im new to this ; ;

Edit: Ahhh, crap... I jsut realized this

Memory Standard on the mother board is DDR2 800

Checking my motherboard, and the compatibility... DRAM Slot #1 512 MB (DDR SDRAM)

I WILL run into problems, wont I?

Edited by Artistbydefault, 08 January 2007 - 02:22 PM.

#10 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:17 PM

First off about choosing a case,

All mobo's are built the same size, generally with the same area of need, So picking out a case is only a matter of preference, I have seen cases with PSU's that go on the bottom, And PSU's that go on the top etc, So its really preference, When looking at a case, Take a look at the open side view and see if this case suits you, As in will it be difficult or Easy to get everything in, If you feel it might be difficult, then Id suggest looking at another

Since you are going to be upgradinging piece by piece, Id suggest going with around a 450 W PSU atleast, The one in the case you linked had a 500, And while Id love to go with this combination, arcman is right, Its better to just get the parts seperately

As far as the ram goes, Yes, you'll run into MAJOr issues if you don't have DDR2, That is one of the things I might've neglected ot point out, All of the mobo/processor combos nowadays run on DDR2, So no matter what you're memory is going to need upgrading as well as the rest :thumbsup:

#11 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:56 PM

PSU = Power supply.

Yes, any modern motherboard these days is going to use DDR2, which is physically a different slot than DDR1, so if that's what you have, you'll have to get a new stick.

Also, any new board is going to have a PCI express video card slot instead of AGP, so I hope you're not holding on to an AGP card hoping it will fit in to a new system! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#12 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 12:08 AM

PSU = Power supply.

Yes, any modern motherboard these days is going to use DDR2, which is physically a different slot than DDR1, so if that's what you have, you'll have to get a new stick.

Also, any new board is going to have a PCI express video card slot instead of AGP, so I hope you're not holding on to an AGP card hoping it will fit in to a new system! :thumbsup:

Not entirely true, some new boards still have the old AGP 4x/8x slot...

#13 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:50 AM

Oh god, i dont know what i have....How do I tell if its AGP or PCI?

#14 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:53 AM

You're correct, there are a sparse handful of new boards with AGP. Honestly though they're going to be low-tier manufacturers like Foxconn and Asrock and such, and really, if you're building a new system you want to avoid AGP to start with. Unless you just only want bare-bones display (in which case you're probably going to just get onboard graphics anyway), an AGP slot is going to really limit you.
Posted Image

#15 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

Oh god, i dont know what i have....How do I tell if its AGP or PCI?

Video cards:
Posted Image

Slots:
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users