Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Seeking Files

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 r_parker

r_parker

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:20 PM

Greetings, About two years ago my neighbor who was an IT Manager and has since moved took me thru a procedure to replace deleted files on my Computer.I have the XP CD for my Computer, which it requested and then it replaced several of my files that were missing.I have that problem once again so would any one be able to shed some light on this, as a step by step, or direct me to another Tech forum or the name of this procedure? Thanks to all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:37 PM

Sounds like you are wanting to do a Sysytem File Check aka an sfc /scannow procedure. Take a look at this link. Remember to do your XP updates afterwards in case any updates/hotfixes were overwritten with the procedure.

Be (sfc /scannow) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 r_parker

r_parker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:03 PM

Animal, Thanx for your reply. However i have run "sfc /scannow" several times and this is not the same procedure that my friend took me thru. The Computer is still sluggish and i still believe i am missing some files. Thanx again.

#4 _Peter_

_Peter_

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 09:14 PM

Give us a better description of the procedure you used before, and include as many details about it as you can remember no matter how irrelevant they may be. Also tell us more about the problem you're having.

#5 r_parker

r_parker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:16 AM

Peter, It's been two years and all that i can remember was that i was typing in things as we went along.
He was at work so we moved along diligently. I do know that part way into the procedure the Computer ask ed to insert the XP CD, and after everything finished, a box popped up stating that it had replaced several files. Sorry i couldn,t be more helpful.

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:04 PM

Peter, It's been two years and all that i can remember was that i was typing in things as we went along.
He was at work so we moved along diligently. I do know that part way into the procedure the Computer ask ed to insert the XP CD, and after everything finished, a box popped up stating that it had replaced several files. Sorry i couldn,t be more helpful.

When running sfc /scannow it will ask for the WinXP CD if any of the operating system's files are missing or corrupt. If it didn't ask for the CD then the files you suspect are missing are not associated with the OS.

What files do you suspect were deleted?
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#7 r_parker

r_parker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:30 PM

Possibly Dll,s but not sure.The sfc did ask for the Cd to build a dll cache, however it did not notify me if files were replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users