Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Drives Unable To Read Data Discs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MrSly

MrSly

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:42 PM

Lets just start at the beginning...

I build computers for myself and others and have been having problems recently. I built a computer for a friend of mine a couple months ago. Installed the DVD Rom drive, and used it to install lots of programs from a DVD disc that I created for this purpose. It has stuff like email checkers, Firefox, etc. (lots of freeware and shareware programs). I've used this disc dozens of times without incident. When I used it on my friends computer, I installed most of the programs from the DVD just fine, then all of a sudden (after a reboot) it couldn't read the disc anymore. Gives me an error like (No disc in Drive D). It can read movie DVD's and music CD's and data CD's, just not data DVD's. I've tried other data DVD's to no avail.

I got fed up with the whole problem, so I re-formatted the HD, re-installed OS (Win XP Pro), re-installed service packs (2), and the DVD drive worked just fine again. Installed most of the programs from the DVD successfully. Again, after one of the required reboots it stopped working. Like I said, I've used this disc on other computers and haven't had the problem before.

I've since noticed that my boys computer is having the same problem. Can't read data DVD's, but everything else works fine. BTW, even store bought programs on DVD don't work on their computers.

I've tried:
- looking at the properties of the drives, look fine to me.
- turn system off, disconnect the drive, reboot, delete from system, reboot, turn system off, re-attach drive, reboot, re-install drivers, reboot, still doesn't work.

It appears to me that since I was able to get the drive working again by re-installing Windows, it's a problem with settings.

I know I could find out which program I'm installing is causing the problem by starting all over again, installing one program at a time and rebooting in-between, but I don't think it was a particular program since the second time I was installing software, I did it in a different order than the first time.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Mr. Sly

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 resp

resp

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

When you're installing software are you doing it one at a time and restartingo r just doing the whole wackton at once and restarting afterwards?

If you are installing all at once and restarting after everything's up, IT wouldn't matter hte order that you did it in, It would still glitch out

Since it works when a fresh install of windows happens I will agree iwth you on the fact its a program doing this,

If it wasn't working period after a reinstall of windows then, Id say its hardware

but now you're looking at a software glitching some settings out on your dvd drive

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

Do any of these computers have ANY P2P program on them?

I have encountered this error before when programs that have adware bundled with them are installed on a computer
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 MrSly

MrSly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:13 AM

There is not any P2P software installed on these computers. I try to steer clear of anything with adware.

And I install lots of apps at one time then reboot. Otherwise it would take me a week between all the reboots for software. I usually end up rebooting 4 times or so during all the installs. I don't always install the same programs on each computer, so it MUST be one of the programs I NORMALLY install, but like I said, they all work fine on my computer and several others.

I'm guessing there is a setting that is getting changed somewhere along the line for these couple of computers. If there was just some way to find what the setting is and fix it...

I'll just have to install one program at a time and reboot between to see which program is causing the problem. Then I'll have to find a way to figure out what it changed so I can change it back...

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

Post a list of all programs on the dvd.

I'm betting that you're installing a program I believe that is linked to drives not working. I've been on this mission for a few months now, and I'm still collecting data on this subject.

I've made a post here and other places that I have reason to believe that there are various softwares out there that are disrupting drives, making them either unreadable, or unwritable, or both. This is because of the DRM issues going on,,, I'm sure of.

I'm sure it's something you're installing that's doing this.

Also, if you would to uninstall your drive drivers, you would then need to use a registry cleaner to make sure you've uninstalled it completely.

About dvd and cd drives:
The biggest misconception about both the roms, and the burners is that you have to have the drivers for them to make them work properly (the one that came with the drive/burner). Not true at all. In fact, once you install the device and Windows finds and installs the default drivers for it, you're good to go. You can use any burner software and it will activate/load your burner to burn/work. Nero, Roxio, or any burner software.

I've done countless computers and cd\dvd roms and burners, and to this day I still have all of my burners and roms working as they should without any software... with the exception of my dvd burner (HP 640i with LightScribe). Other than that one, I don't download dvd or cd rom drivers from their web sites or anywhere else for that matter, because the devices work without them anyway. So I ask myself "Why bother downloading them and everything works fine?"

But, all in all, uninstall what you need to, and this time, do not install the drivers for your drive if you have them on disc. Trust me on this. You don't need them, especially on a rom drive. Now, if you had a burner, and especially like the model I have, you'll need the drivers if you're going to be using the LightScribe feature. And that feature will allow me to burn a disc, and then after I'm done, flip it over, put it back in the burner, and the burner will burn the label on the disc. But I don't use that feature, so technically, I can uninstall the drivers and my burner will still work fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users