Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Failed Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ebud

ebud

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:30 PM

I have an older generic pc that has a burnt power supply

ASUS AV7 motherboard, AMD 800mhz, AGP video, HD, CD, CDR & floopy

The original power supply was L&C tecrnolocy JNC model LC-300ATX ( 300 watts I guess )

I got a replacement from Staples....generic 350W supply.
http://www.staples.ca/ENG/Catalog/cat_sku....;affixedcode=WW

Once I install this puppy the PC powers up and does the memory check, but stops there. None of the drive seem to get power, either does the keyboard.

What gives?

Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Archer-of-Death

Archer-of-Death

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:54 PM

The link doesn't go to any power supply.
But, do not buy cheap power supplies. A cheap 500 watt is worse than a nice 250 watt.
Get rid of the staples junk and go buy some thermaltake or apevia power supply.
my old power supply should be good for that computer and more upgrades

#3 ebud

ebud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback....so the issue is not enough power then? Does this usually cause the drives to not spin up? I don't want to waste my time on this PC if something else is baked, as it was just going to become a Unix test box.

Sorry you need a postal code to see the PS .... try v7p 2r5 ... you should then get taken to the PS in question.

#4 ebud

ebud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

I returned the Staples PS....

I can get this:
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku...ure=THERMALTAKE

But...Should I ?

As far as I know the PC worked fine...the power supply sparked and smoked and now 2 PS that I have tried ( an older compaq one the staples one) did seem to power up system properly.

The boot gets to the mem check screen and the option to hit DEL to enter setup.

Seems like the Keyboard, HD and other drives are not powered up

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

Thermaltake makes a good, quality PSU. Depending on what caused the PSU to fail (and how it failed) may mean that there could be other damaged components in your system.

Try stripping the system down to bare essentials to troubleshoot a hardware problem. Here's a link to a mini-guide on this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 ebud

ebud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

Thanks!

Not sure how much help that guide will be since I can't get system to boot to a point where the keyboard or any drives are active. So I can run any programs ...etc.

I pulled a PS from another newer PC (300watt) that is working and still no luck in getting the keyboard or drives powered up. The CPU & Video card are recognized and memory check finished and then that's it.

Any other ideas?

#7 ebud

ebud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 03:07 PM

Update for those interested

I pulled all the cards and swapped the video card for another AGP card
still no go

I reinstalled the cards and swapped back the video, but did not connect the cables to the CD & CDR drives....Now I get further and I have the keyboard working, but I can't get the system to see the Hard drive. Now this MB ASUS av7 has a IDE options and a ATA100 option. Tried both still no go.

#8 ebud

ebud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

--- closed ---

HD and others also fried...drag

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users