Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only 10% Audio!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 videoman449

videoman449

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:52 AM

This is driving me nuts.

Last week for no apparent reason, I am only able to hear about 10% of the normal audio. This includes headphone as well as normal audio output. The audio is BARELY heard through the monitor speakers eventhough the volume level indicates maximum.

Before I start, the computer is HP M1170n, WIN MEDIA CENTER, WIN XP (SP2), HP motherboard Puffer-UL8E, Pentium4 530 (P) HT 3.0 GHz, 3GB RAM, Realtek ALC 880 chipset.

I have performed the following tasks:

1. Tried a different monitor with speakers.
2. Tried a different set of power speakers. Checked inside the tower for any sign of wire, cable or component disconnect.
3. Tried a different set of earphones.
4. Reviewed the components under SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS. There are no visible warning indicators.
5. Reviewed and 'updated' all drivers associated with SOUND, VIDEO AND GAME CONTROLLERS.
6. Reviewed and 'updated' drivers associated with the keyboard.
7. Reinstalled all drivers associated with audio and video, using WINDOWS Restore feature.
8. Performed a computer rollback to a 48 hour point prior to this audio problem.
9. Rolled back WIN MEDIA PLAYER 11 to 10. (WIN MEDIA PLAYER 11 was installed three weeks prior to this incident, though.)
10. Performed full system scan, disk defrag, virus scan, adware scan and REGISTRY BOT. No issues found.
11. CD's or DVD's played on either of the disk drives exhibit the same low volume levels.
12. Any and all audio or video files on the computer play with the same low volumes.
13. I can burn an audio CD from any contained audio file and it contains NORMAL volume attributes on any external CD player, car audio system, etc.
14. All audio controls on computer are set to max.
15. No new software or hardware installed recently.

Needless to say, I'm at a loss! HP on-line tech support, though helpful, had no solution.

I really don't want to restore the entire software.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

- - Greg

Edited by videoman449, 07 January 2007 - 12:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 12:28 PM

First in the sound contrl isn't the mute box ticked?

Did you check the socket for your headphones whether they are still intact

What is set in Sound control centre as standard apparatus

#3 videoman449

videoman449
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for the quick response!

To answer your questions . . .

First in the sound contrl isn't the mute box ticked?

NO, the audio is not muted.

Did you check the socket for your headphones whether they are still intact

The headphone socket is intact and it offers the same low volume as the master out put.

What is set in Sound control centre as standard apparatus The "environment" is set to None. The speaker configuration is (and has always been) 2/2.1.

- - Greg

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:06 AM

Why don't you try to set and cofigure your soundcard as standard apparatus?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

When you open your Volume Control (double-click volume icon in the Task bar), what volume level is Wave set at?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 09:54 AM

Check the bios for any problems regarding sound devices.
Regards,

Alan.

#7 videoman449

videoman449
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:39 AM

Thanks for the responses . . . .

Yes, the Master Wave volume in the Master Control panel is set to maximum, as are all other choices.

The Bios reveals no problems. FYI, the original setting for sound (In the Bios) was automatic. I've tried the "enable" setting with no improvement.

I've checked and double checked all the obvious reasons for minimal audio output, I.E. mute settings, volume controls, speaker selection, loose connections, Device Manager warnings, drivers, etc.

This still has me baffled!

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

- - Greg

#8 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

You said that you had scanned your pc, what AV did you use,

Plan B, have you had a look at the device manager for conflicts,
have you checked the services.msc window
Regards,

Alan.

#9 videoman449

videoman449
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 11:16 AM

Device Manager reveals no conflicts.

"Anti-Virus" software is AVAST, SPYWARE DOCTOR and REGISTRY BOT.

A check of WINDOWS AUDIO under services.msc window did not reveal anything out of the ordinary . . .to the best of my knowledge!

Thanks again, members!

- - Greg

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:48 PM

you say that you are using Realtek ALC 880 chipset download the chipset drivers first then the audio ones, see if that works

Edited by nigglesnush85, 08 January 2007 - 12:50 PM.

Regards,

Alan.

#11 rob76

rob76

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:11 AM

Hi,
I too am having problems with the audio being VERY low. To start with I didn't think I had any audio, it was only when there was silence in the room, I noticed a faint sound. It was working perfectly for 5 months, until I went to play a film, and noticed the problem.

It seems to be the same sort of problem experienced by videoman449. I haven't installled anything or made any adjustments to anything (to my knowledge), but have tried everything videoman449 has done (and more), and all the suggested items.

'Videoman449 - have you fixed it?'

I have a Conroe 1333-D677 LGA 775. It has onboard 7.1CH Windows Vista Premium Level HD Audio (ALC888 Audio Codec).

I have tested the microphone socket, through sound recorder, and it records sound no problem. Obviously, playback is at a minimal level. Increasing the volume by the sound recorder 'features' does make it louder slightly, but barely loud enough to hear.

What info can I paste into here for someone to assist me, please and thank you.

Rob

Edited by rob76, 09 January 2008 - 05:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users