Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plastic Surgery

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#16 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 PM

Posted 26 February 2007 - 03:40 AM

Society as a whole has all sorts of little messy things going on for lots of inter-related reasons. I think the key thing in this is choice.

What ever floats your boat in it! the thing is....there aint know way of telling what your dog wants although its probably happy to have a nice smelling bleep, tickle on the tum and a nice juicy bone LMAO, i really dont think that they be worrying about their ears being a bit too big or getting tit enlargements when half the time they'd rather be rolling in sheep bleep (speaking for my and my friends dogs) LMAO :flowers:

It would make an EXCELLENT Gary Larson cartoon sketch of the dogs considering what surgery to go for ha ha haha....mind you, just thought, we get our animals neutered and spayed, infact encouraged by the gov to do so everyday, and i wonder if they had a say if they would want that done? MAAAAD WOW is there a comparison in this??

If choice is the issue of cruelty in animal plastic surgery then is not neutering and spaying them cruel?

Just a thought s'all he he :thumbsup: BYE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Globe Roamer Jeff

Globe Roamer Jeff

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:21 PM

Plastic Surgery.... hummm.....

Micheal Jackson :thumbsup:

Cher :flowers:

It's not half bad I think.

#18 evilmonkeyz

evilmonkeyz

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 05:15 PM

I wouldn't 99 times out of 100 people look worse after it, and their wallet feels worse. :thumbsup:
If life gives you lemons you should make lemonade, then find a buddy that life gave him vodka and throw a party!!

#19 Umbrella

Umbrella

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 PM

Posted 21 April 2007 - 04:35 PM

Plastic surgery...

I think altering one's physical appearance is justified in case of damage or minor deformities, such as cleft lip. However, completely changing one's face in order to be physically attractive is going a bit overboard. Not only does plastic surgery cost a lot of money, but it is also unfair to those who cannot afford such an operation.

On the issue of cosmetic surgery for pets... I think forcing one's dog to get a plastic surgery is just disgusting. What gives humans the right to cut up animals for aesthetic purposes? Perhaps with the dog's consent it would be justified, but definitely not for human entertainment.

In my opinion, people do not need plastic surgery to look beautiful. If one really looked hideous enough to require a face lift to be accepted by the community, I doubt that a surgery could fix the problem. Of course, there are people who ended up looking worse after the surgery... *Michael Jackson* :thumbsup:

Anyway, I believe that people who are beautiful on the inside are radiant enough without having to alter their faces. What counts is on the inside, right? :flowers:
--Even if I were reborn a thousand times it would not be enough to experience the world. Life is beautiful--

#20 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 April 2007 - 02:48 AM

See I was taught and i firmly believe that inner beauty is moreimportant. I believe in this so much so that I feel really bad when girls wear make up, society has gotten to be about looks, not whats on the inside.
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#21 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 02 May 2007 - 12:56 AM

I pretty much agree with what has been said so far. About medical purposes and such. However, as for the beauty, botox, and (women - chest) I'd say it'd not required. And in most cases shouldn't be allowed.

However, no matter how much good evidence or conversation is put up against it, doctors will continue to do it as a "hobby" as long as they are being paid the big bucks.

#22 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2007 - 07:48 PM

Plastic surgery Huh?? Hmmm!! Well, when it comes to breast enlargement,nose jobs, face lifts etc. for the sake of making yourself look better, in your opinion, or esp. the breast enlargement to please your husband or boy friend!! Nope, don't think so. If you can't be accepted for who you are rather than how you look what kind of people are you hanging out with? I think they're the wrong ones. Back to the breasts, If your hubby or boy friend wants you to have it done tell them fine, if they want to have it done too, see how they like lugging those babies around!!! :thumbsup: Now, breast reduction is another thing. It is almost always done for medical reasons. It is a known fact that women who have extremely large breast suffer from multiple back ailments, the long term effect of which can be at the very least uncomfortable and at the maximum not healthy for the back at all and present a signifigant health risk,i.e. slipped discs etc.

There is a reason that I do agree with fully for the use of plastic surgery and that is to correct severe deformaties that , for whatever reason, a person has been afflicted with. My youngest sister was born with her right ear folded over and slightly smaller than the other. At the time of her birth she was too young for x-rays or any test that could have been used to determine if she had just laid on it wrong while developing or if it was a complete deformaty. When she turned about 5 yrs. old they did surgery to open up the area that was hidden by the folded over part of the ear. As it turned out it was a complete deformaty, there was no ear canal at all. At that point they did do surgery on her to build a "new" ear, or as close as they could come to it looking like an ear. Approx. 6 surgeries latter she had an ear. Now I know it doesn't sound like something that was necessary but to my little sister it was, children can be extremely cruel, that surgery saved her alot of misery and embaressment. She still can't wear her hair very short, she keeps it just below the ear lobe which works fine and at that length it looks like she has an ear. :trumpet: The term plastic surgery doesn't apply here either. To make her ear they removed cartilage from her chest and did skin grafts using skin from her behind, luckily the scars that it left are very minimal.

At the risk of sounding flip about the subject there were other advantages to them building her a new ear. If one of us looses an earring we give her the one that's left, she's not allowed to put an earring in the one that was made,thus we recycle. When she had to get glasses she now had a way of holding the sides up equally!! She also can, so to speak, turn a deaf ear to you and unless you knew the situation you would just continue to ramble on, never knowing she wasn't listening to a word you said!!! :flowers: Don't get me wrong here, I'm not making fun of my sister, she's as good natured about it as anyone about the situation. That being, I'm sorry, rather long windedly being said, I rest my case!! Thank you! :inlove:
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#23 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:11 PM

That's such a great example of wonderful surgery and I'm so pleased your sister was able to have it! You're right, there are few things as cruel when they sense another child 'different' than themselves - but that aside, I bet she felt so much better about herself.

And I surely understand the humour you used to tell her story, Iodine - gentle hug! - in fact, that's one of the greatest things, being able to laugh together about something.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#24 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2007 - 01:49 AM

Thanks MaraM for the kind words. My sister does indeed feel good about herself. She is 42 now and we still have the same sense of humor, all of us kids do. It's what has kept us together and helped us thru some of the roughest times in life.

Laughter can cure so much!! or at least help you forget for a little while...
Tell me and I forget ;Show me and I may remember;involve me and I"ll understand.

#25 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 05 May 2007 - 07:02 AM

Question: Where is the line between beauty surgery and correcting a deformity?

Also South Park Season 9 Episode 1 deals with just these issues in a deep and meaningful way.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#26 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 01:52 AM

I hardly think that you can call the correction of a cleft palette & hairlip,a birth defect, or disfigurement from a tragic accident plastic surgery for the sake of beauty. I seems to me that this would fall more in the realm of a merciful kindness unlike those that seek beautifying enhancements such as face lifts, eye lifts, botox treatments for wrinkles and the enlargement of lips etc. simply to fit in with what happens to be the beauty fad of the time.

Perhaps people with disfigurements etc. should learn to live in this world as they are and hope that they will be accepted for who they are rather than how they look. That would be the ideal situation if we lived in an ideal world, but we do not. We live, unfortunatly,in a world where the most inhumane thing in it is man himself!! I'm sure the point made in the South Park episode that you speak of was all well and good and had a lesson in it for everyone,however, we don't live (thank God) in South Park we live in the real world where cruelty abounds!

#27 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 PM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 02:15 AM

:thumbsup: I hear that Mrs. Iodine. Sadly the world that we live in now (or at least has been for a while) is all about looks. If anyone has seen any of the t.v. shows with people with disfigurements that endure the pain and discomfort procedure after procedure just to try to fit in with society will understand the difference between "beauty surgery and correcting a deformity". Some of them HAVE to go through the many different surgeries just so they can be able to talk, eat, breath, etc. Alot of the times its not about beauty, but more for health reasons. For these people going through it all is worth it, but is it really worth it for people who don't have a disfigurement? Who just want to look "pretty" and then "have" to go through it all again years later just to have that same look again? Or better yet having something go wrong and have the regret of doing it in the first place? I can go on, and on about this topic but I think you get my point. :flowers:

#28 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 AM

Posted 06 May 2007 - 05:44 AM

Where is the line between a big nose and a disfigured nose? Is a nose the size of a tennis ball a disfigurement? I think yes, that it is. Is a nose a fraction smaller than a tennis ball a disfigurement? Is a nose a fraction smaller than a fraction smaller than a tennis ball a disfigurement? I think you see where I am going with this.

"Correcting disfigurement: good, and beauty surgery: bad" is a completely reasonable position. But it requires a clarification of what is a disfigurement and what is merely ugly.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#29 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 08:51 AM

Where is the line between a big nose and a disfigured nose? Is a nose the size of a tennis ball a disfigurement? I think yes, that it is.

Oh great -

now you'll have the tennis ball folks getting with the ACLU and claiming you've defamed them!

Good thing you don't have a radio show - they'd be calling for your firing, too.

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#30 Iodine

Iodine

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 06 May 2007 - 11:45 PM

Where is the line between a big nose and a disfigured nose? Is a nose the size of a tennis ball a disfigurement? I think yes, that it is. Is a nose a fraction smaller than a tennis ball a disfigurement? Is a nose a fraction smaller than a fraction smaller than a tennis ball a disfigurement? I think you see where I am going with this.

"Correcting disfigurement: good, and beauty surgery: bad" is a completely reasonable position. But it requires a clarification of what is a disfigurement and what is merely ugly.

When you get the exact measurment down, please let us know. I'm sure there are many people out there suffering that would really like to know where the parameters are before considering such a measure as having plastic surgery. I'm not trying to "flame" at you but I think you are nit picking a bit. I guess it all comes down to each individual case doesn't it. What brings one person emotional or physical pain may not bother another. So in actuality your opinion or mine doesn't really matter does it?

As far as I'm concerned, enough said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users