Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plastic Surgery

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 03:15 AM

A subject always in the news,and many people seem to have different opinions as to whether they have had plastic surgery,or are considering having one procedure or another.
Wondering as to your opinions regarding the Ethical views,religious,medical or moral you may have.
Do you think it's OK to alter the body or looks you have been born with?
I personally would never change my appearance for anybody,because it's whats inside that really counts.
The only exception to my opinion would be if I was disfigured from an accident or medical condition.
There is also the risk involved and a prime example is Jocelyn Wildenstein,poor woman.
The latest craze is having your pets looks or body features changed to suit their owners whims.
I came across a link which I think Plastic Surgery on dogs is going too far.Love to hear your views. :thumbsup:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/national/216...facelift17.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:13 AM

I personally would not, I don't see any moral problem with it or else I'd be upset about women wearing makeup... Shoot, I won't even spray paint my head or do a comb over when I lose more hair. My wife said she would have a little done to herself to help hide her age, but is not obsessed or anything. She has better things to spend the money on. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:32 AM

I used Google to see photos of Jocelyn Wildenstein - and cripes. I don't say this to be cruel but in reality I've seen facial burn victims who look more 'normal' - huge bewildered sigh.

My first thought was that someone had been 'doctoring' her photos using editing programs - but the more I searched, the more I realized that this was reality. And my second thought was don't physicians have to swear to 'do no harm'?!!!!!

Am all for plastic surgery for medical reasons plus following accidents, etc that cause severe disfigurements - and if one has the money and the inclination to edit their body via surgery they can and should be able to choose this option to feel better about themselves. But for those that one or two or three surgeries is never going to be enough and they have the same misfortune as Ms. Wildenstein, surely there must be some medical standards committee who can thump the doctors and revoke their licences? Or then again, guess those truly needy souls would just venture off to another country to have it done.

Personally, it's sad that in our society that we don't spend more time teaching our children that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. (Luckily the people I love and who love me are quite content to realize I've got a few wrinkles - after all, I've earned them - gentle grin!).

But as for people having their pets done - geesh!! - and makes me wonder what reputable Vet would consent to such a thing!! To me, fixing an 'inverted eyelash' on an animal isn't plastic surgery, rather it's medical - and to read this vet claim it's the same thing as altering an animal's appearance so it appears more "symmetrical" - well, another geesh!

Suspect people will have differing views on 'Plastic Surgery in Children with Down Syndrome', as well?

Good topic, DSTM!

Just saw your message Wildabeast - thank goodness you'll "never spray your head or do a comb-over" if your hair thins!!! :thumbsup:

Edited by MaraM, 09 January 2007 - 01:34 AM.

Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,012 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 02:06 AM

I think advertising and other media images are responsible for a lot of the desire to look other than what we do.

My views of plastic surgery - to repair damage yes.

To simply change appearance - I'd never do it. Frankly, I think a lot of image makeovers look terrible.

By the way, I don't wear make-up unless I'm in a performance or on stage.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 yoopergirl

yoopergirl

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:51 AM

"Personally, it's sad that in our society that we don't spend more time teaching our children that beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. (Luckily the people I love and who love me are quite content to realize I've got a few wrinkles - after all, I've earned them - gentle grin!)." MaraM

Well said MaraM.

I watched a t.v. show a year or so ago about Jocelyn Wildenstein and all of her surgeries. It was very sad honestly because I thought she was just beautiful before she had her first surgery and I couldn't imagine why she couldn't see it. I don't think she had planned to have as many surgeries as she has but I think on like her second surgery the surgeon screwed up and paralyzed a portion of her face. And from that surgery on she just kept trying to fix the damage until finally becoming addicted to surgeries altogether. In the interview she said that she moves from doctor to doctor now and pressures them, bribes them, begs them pretty much to do more to her poor face. She also said that she wouldn't be honest with these doctors as to the dates of her last procedures etc and after all of the "good" surgeons refused to treat her further she moved on in search of any surgeon that would. The thing that shocked me the most about the whole interview was that she had a very beautiful daughter who was, even after all her mother had been through, planning to have a few surgeries soon herself. Eeeks.

I have known three people that have had some type of plastic surgery done and two of the three regret it totally. One of these women had facial surgery done, she had been so pretty before the surgery and I think she got way too much done, she doesn't even look like the same person. After the surgery she went into a deep depression, wouldn't even go anywhere but to work and is still I think, trying to sue the plastic surgeon. She looks just, really fake (it's hard to explain), like it's obvious she had work done and she isn't now near as pretty as she had been.

Another woman I know that regrets having surgery had her BOOBS done. LOL And she isn't happy because one seems bigger then the other although, I don't notice any difference. But they feel funky (edit: to the touch), and she has virtually no feeling in them at all.

The third woman also had her boobs done and she's 100% satisfied and so is her hubby I'm sure.

All three had been through something really traumatic shortly before having their surgeries. The first had been in a car accident a few months before the decision to have surgery and the second had lost her husband about a year before. The third chic had recently lost her mother to cancer but she had always been very materialistic and kinda selfish. She has to have the best of everything and I guess she thought that she needed the best boobs too. Now that she has what she thinks is better she's happy and prolly will be until she flies somewhere and they explode. Er, sorry. I don't know what kind of psychological screening is done but none of these women in my opinion should have been permitted the surgery, at that time anyway.

I'm not against plastic surgery if someone is having it done for themselves. Like they are totally "with it" in making the decision and they are not doing it for anyone other then themselves. But the idea of plastic surgery for someone else makes me sick. I know that men have surgeries too but to me it's mostly women gettin' bigger boobs and they are doing it to attract men. I feel sorry for these women. I'm sorry but I am not willing to alter my body, give up all feeling in my breasts and not even be able to nourish my future babies just so some jerk will look at me a bit more. What's next? Retractable teeth for better blow jobs?

I think that plastic surgery should be available to anyone that wants it, although I think these people should be screened first and it should be thought about for a long time, like having a year waiting period or something.

I feel that it's societies fault the people feel the need to change themselves. T.V. tells us all what's sexy and beautiful and "in" or not cool. It used to be aimed mostly at making women want to change but lately I've noticed more and more commercials and movies aimed at making men feel like they are lacking somehow as well. It's like these money making powers that be feel like well, we've gotten all we're getting out of the women so lets move onto the men. Can you imagine a male " erectile dysfunction" commercial aired in the 80's? OMG! Now it's every other commercial. I have been with my better half for almost 18 years now so I can honestly say if it "dysfunctions" every now and then, or when it finally starts to, cool! LMAO

I don't think that wearing makeup is anything like having plastic surgery, to me it's a temporary I dunno, highlighting of one's natural features.

For those that say god would disapprove of any alteration to ones natural self, have you never gotten a haircut? I'm not exactly a religious person although I do believe in a god and I think he/she would not go for plastic surgery or any other physical harm done of one's "temple". At the same time I don't think he/she would hold it against someone who was mentally not able to make the decision.

Boy, I talk too much. IMHO The doggie plastic surgery is just going WAY TOO FAR! Poor puppies, that should be considered animal abuse! Apparently those money powers I mentioned aren't getting rich enough off of those poor men, they've moved on again.

Edited by yoopergirl, 09 January 2007 - 04:55 AM.

#6 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:08 AM

Another such case where I think Plastic Surgery was a disaster was Taylor on the Bold and the Beautiful.
For years I thought she was so beautiful, and to go and get a (please inflate these lips to 40 psi) lip job,has destroyed her once beautiful face.
She should sue her Plastic Surgeon.IMHO.

#7 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

Reconstructive plastic surgery: Good
Cosmetic plastic surgery: Generally stupid

I'm all for people have plastic surgery if their features or appearence have suffered greatly due to an accident, disease, bacteria, etc. Or, in the case of birth defects, Recon. plastic surgery can give people a chance to look normal.

However, most cosmetic surgery i find to be completely pointless and stupid. Most people getting plastic surgery are vain, and try to obtain the "perfect" body. This often leads to narcissism (sp?) or an addiction. The worst part, to me, is the false advertising. Bigger breasts that aren't/don't feel real? Liposuction every couple of months to maintain a good figure? Just stupid.

Also, if some woman who has had countless plastic surgeries to become "attractive" had a baby that was more along the lines of her original appearence, there's the risk of the mother putting her daughter through the same hell, the father not loving the mother as much, or the parents generally dissatisfied w/ their offspring. Granted, these aren't THAT likely to happen, but i have heard about things like it before.

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,493 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 03:41 PM

I seem to be with the crowd on Good if needed for damage and small imperfections.
But the rest is amazingly insane and it doesn't last. Without a lot of words I submit "Michael." :flowers: :thumbsup:
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thinking about the disasterous results that we can see on so many ... wonder if they see - really see what they now look like in the mirror. Surely not? Or else they wouldn't continue? Must admit, I'm dumbfounded. (As for 'Michael' - well, all I feel is great pity both for what's been done to his face and for the fact this man must have no true friends, as surely a true friend would have been honest and said stop long ago?).

The only person I 'knew' who had cosmetic surgery on her face was a woman in the semi-private room in the surgery unit with me. She was 82 and in for her 4th face lift - and I remember wondering how she thought a face life would truly 'help since her hands and neck and undoubtedly the remainder of her body would still look her real age. All very sad, when one really thinks about it.

Have really mixed feelings about parents choosing to submit their Down's Syndrome children to plastic surgery, though. For me at least, having the 'protruding tongue' worked on would seem 'medical' rather than plastic - yet having the yes altered??? Surely this can only be for looks to make the parents perhaps feel better? Or maybe I'm just missing something.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

Another woman I know that regrets having surgery had her BOOBS done. LOL And she isn't happy because one seems bigger then the other although, I don't notice any difference. But they feel funky (edit: to the touch), and she has virtually no feeling in them at all.

You feelin 'em? What?? I read natuarly one is always bigger anyways...

You cant nourish babies if you get breast implants? I didnt know this? Seems like that would make men not want to marry women who had that done.

I think its stupid to have boobs or anything else done unless you get hurt badly or something.

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 05:32 PM

You cant nourish babies if you get breast implants? I didnt know this? Seems like that would make men not want to marry women who had that done.

There are other ways of feeding babies other than through breast milk.

As to plastic surgery:

For medical reasons..of course..

For beauty reasons.. As far as I am concerned, if a person has the money, and it makes them feel better about themselves, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with plastic surgery. Self image can really determine a person's happiness...and who am i to tell them they shouldn't do something that may have a positive effect on their life. They are not harming anyone so who am I to criticize it. I may not agree, but it is not my body.

As for pets...I completely agree. That should be illegal in my opinion only for the fact that you have absolutely no idea what harm you are doing to a pet and obviously whether they want it or not.

I do agree with everyone that its a sad world that self-image means so much and that it drives people to have PS.

#12 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:08 PM

There are other ways of feeding babies other than through breast milk.

Well I know that. We feed our calves milk replacer. They have it for humans to. I read natural milk is best though.

#13 Darthy

Darthy

The red side of the Force

• Members
  • 1,217 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

Cosmetic plastic surgery: I think it's an hobby for some rich people, sometimes with irreparable results.
I think the ultimate paradigm of those kind of surgeries is Michael Jackson.
For pets, I think it's a crime.
As for reconstructive plastic surgery, for medical reasons, of course I agree.
Εν οίδα οτι ουδέν οίδα - Socrates
Thanks John

#14 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:00 PM

Cosmetic plastic surgery: I think it's an hobby for some rich people, sometimes with irreparable results.
I think the ultimate paradigm of those kind of surgeries is Michael Jackson.
For pets, I think it's a crime.
As for reconstructive plastic surgery, for medical reasons, of course I agree.

total agreement darthy
"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

#15 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 09 January 2007 - 10:12 PM

Like many have said so far, I think reconstructive surgery is a wonderful thing...helping to piece lives together again.

As for cosmetic surgery, perhaps it is more of a symptom of an unhealthy society than a problem in and of itself. We are so driven by image and youthful appearance that we can't accept ourselves for what we are...we determine personal value by our looks rather than who we are. Our culture's obsession with materialism and the economic system we employ only compound the issue...each new commercial goes to further extremes to show us the "perfect face" or "perfect body." It's the carrot hung in front of the tortoise, the goal that can never be reached.

MaraM, I agree, what's wrong with wrinkles? I wish everyone lived long full lives and had their share of wrinkles...but we don't all get that chance! When we obsess about youthful appearance we loose sight of this fact.

It would be nice if people simply put their energy into overall life-long heath (physical, mental, diet, ect). They'd feel better, look better, and enjoy what really counts about youth for many more years than they might otherwise.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users