Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help Please!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 slashmarx

slashmarx

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:36 AM

OK so here's what I've got: Windows XP on 3 CPUs and Windows ME on one CPU. Other than the standard Windows problems, I am trying to hook up a HP Scanjet 4SI network scanner to one of the XP units. All I have found so far (since 4PM (it is now 2:22 AM)) is a driver for Windows 3.x and 95. I should also tell you that I know little about this but I am a quick study. Currently, I have the 3 xp cpus and the 4si connected through a wrls router. When the 4SI is turned on, it initializes then immediately displays: "Waiting to attach... (CDM_41)"
I've tried to press the buttons on the front (hoping to be able to display an IP address) but no such luck, the buttons won't work while the error message is displayed. I've also tried running the driver on the ME and XP machines with no luck.

Here are the possibilities I have come up with so far:

1) Find a Windows 3.x or 95 emulator to run the driver
2) Install linux then search for a driver for Linux

Any suggestions would be GREATLY welcomed!!!!

THANK YOU!

CHRIS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 02:34 AM

I have been looking for drivers that will allow you to use this scanner with XP, but I have not found any. I have not given up.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

You can change the IP address on the machines to any number you like, If they all have the same subnet they will talk to each other, Then there is the chance that the printer might work.
Regards,

Alan.

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 08 January 2007 - 06:56 AM

I would say the first thing to check is if the Router is running DHCP. If this is then have a look at the address ranges you use. It could so happen that the printer is trying to use a IP address allready assigned statically.

Have a look at the manual and see what the default IP address setting is.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#5 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:01 AM

Try this driver when you are able to ping the printer

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...mp;swEnvOID=228
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 07:06 AM

It looks from the manuals I have found that this is not being connected as a network device. This is a direct connection to a PC via a printer port. If this is the case forget all theat has been mentioned about IP addresses.

Try using the driver above to see if you can talk to the device.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#7 slashmarx

slashmarx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 11 January 2007 - 09:00 PM

OK, sorry that I've been away and THANK YOU all for replying. The ONLY way that it seems to connect is through a cat5 cable, all of the other ports are being used to connect the scanner to the ADF or the "docking unit". I cannot get this thing to communicate to anything, let alone display anything other than "Waiting to attach... (CDM_41)" Could there be a master reset or diagnosis mode by pressing something when powering on? Or would a crossover cable do anything?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT!!!

Chris

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users