Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"anti-spy" Feature In Yahoo Toolbar Using Firefox....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 06 January 2007 - 10:03 PM

Hello Folks!!

Very new to Firefox and added several items...some of which might be deleted...including the Yahoo tool bar. The "AntiSpy" feature..Is it really worth anything?....

Haven't I already "paid the speed price" by having the tool bar installed? ....Does running this Anti-Spy scan just make it worse? Does it offer ANY protection while browsing or opening up mail?...

I already run Spybot and Ad-Aware regularly and do not seem to use that tool bar very much... So if the Anti-Spy feature isn't all that impressive...then I may as well uninstall the tool bar and recoup the "speed price" that the installation of the tool bar has taken.

Of course...already have "active" virus/spy/firewall protections.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 06:49 AM

hi bart, I'm no expert in the Yahoo Toolbar, but I do remember a while back hearing that it may actually add spyware or adware to your computer. I do not know if this is the case. What I do know is that the Yahoo Tool bar with AntiSpy is not very popular or recommended according to the experts on this board.

The more popular anti spyware and anti adware programs can be found at this link:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

regarding Yahoo toolbar, You would think Yahoo would have some conflicts of interest with the same companies it makes money off of and preventing some of these companies to prevent spyware or adware from one of it's programs. Just a thought..good luck.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 07:05 AM

Installing and running too many add-ons/.toolbars will kill your internet speed while using FF. As far as I am concerned I limit myself to : No-script Adblock and the programs in my sig. Sofar I remained clean ( knock on wood)

#4 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

Hello Pleasant Folk!!

Indeed, Bernie70, THAT is the site to get many, many GOOD ....er...everythings....lol

Adding too much of anything will certainly slow you down and I believe that I have fallen victim to "the little kid in the candy store routine" when I browsed all those "add-ons" that Ff had to offer.....I believe the Yahoo tool bar is history as of right now.... A "few" of the other that I have right now are:

- "IE Tab" AND "IE Lite"...I still have yet to be able to utilize these and am not sure how to.

- "Show IP"... Was highly recommended and am too "inexperienced"...stupid... to know how to effectively use it.

- "Talk Back" ...Shares "problems" with Mozilla. Is suspect because it might have to be "running in the background all the time" in order to immediately send events thus hogging RAM(resources) or otherwise...

- "Answers"...I am a fan of "Yahoo Answers" and had hoped this was a similar feature..Although have yet to figure it out..

- "Ad-Block-Plus" AND "Ad-Block Plus Filter Uploader"..Do not know what the heck this does...."No Script" is the name of the game in this area...no...?

- "Cookie Safe"... Sounded good but I don't see it nor have been able to set its "preferences....yet....

- ""Close All Tabs" button...Isn't THAT the same as clicking the red X in the upper right hand corner...??

- "Full Map"..Useful in Goggle Maps..Haven't used it...yet....But it does bring you directly to Goggle Maps in one click..,

- "Print Preview"..Isn't this the same as clicking "File" in the upper left corner...???

Well, I DO use a couple....lol

- "NoScript"..Enough said or what...Had to get used to "Allow Temporarily" instead of "Allow"...The 'Allow" list can be edited but I forgot right now.....But THIS one is a winner....

- "DeskCut"...Same as IEs "Create a ShortCut" on the desktop upon a right click...

- "McAfee Site Advisor"....Shows red, yellow or green "advice" in lower right corner and if you Google something, it "warns" for all sites on a page..Seems to help...

THAT about does it....lol Yahoo Tool Bar IS out and the entire 1st paragraph are on the hot seat.....

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 01:17 PM

Hi 1Bart,
Wow, that's quite a list of extensions you have there...considering you use only three of them.

IMHO,you don't need both IE Tab and IE Lite,so I'd uninstall IE Lite,then go to the home page of IE Tab and learn how to use it. It's actually quite easy. You are even suppose to be able to do your Windows updates in Firefox using the IE Tab!

-Everyone has TalkBack,It comes preloaded with the Firefox download.

-You can add answers.com to your search engine on the right top corner,by clicking "Manage Search Engines".
So you can uninstall that one.

-Adblock can cause problems when running at the same time as NoScript. Have a look at Firefox's Problematic Extensions,noting the references on the right side. I'd stick with NoScript.

-Close All Tabs and Print Preview are just slowing your computer down.I agree with your comments.

-Last but not least Cookie Safe. If you want to use it,go the Home page and click Help so you can get it set up. If not,you can manage your cookies from the Privacy Tab in Firefox.

Too many extensions/add ons are going to inevitably cause problems with Firefox as well as slow down your browsing speed.

Just my Posted Image

Edited by TMacK, 07 January 2007 - 05:20 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#6 Lilchef

Lilchef

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 07 January 2007 - 02:09 PM

I personally avoid toolbars like the plague. As others have said they slow you down and can be a way in for the spyware/adware they're supposed to stop.

The benefits of Yahoo toolbar can easily be replicated in better ways:

For anti-spyware just get AVG or Avast
To 'access bookmarks instantly' just put them in the bookmarks toolbar folder
RSS feeds can be setup in Firefox through the Tools->Options->Feeds.

#7 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 04:49 PM

You can check which extensions are causing you problems (including workarounds) by utilizing the list found here:

Problematic Extensions

#8 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2007 - 08:38 PM

Hello All!!

The "Problematic Extensions" were pretty scary....lol Very nice info there...AND all around!!!

Immediately removed were:
  • Yahoo Toolbar
  • Cookie Safe...I already configured the browser..What was I thinking...(Extra protection...no-go)
  • Print Preview
  • Close All Tabs
  • Ad-Block and Plus

The IE Tab and Lite will be tussled with because I do want to be able to deal with MS when necessary.

Answers..I'll hang with this one for a bit as long as it doesn't hurt that precious speed.

Pipelining......I saw an immediate increase in speed. Any "cons" that I am not aware of???
Firefox Web Browser - Pipelining

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/1782/firefox-web-browser-pipelining/

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:19 AM

Pipelining is equivalent to the extension Fasterfox.

Here is some setting and related information on Pipelining from the Firefox people.

Cons?...You may get errors loading websites.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

Very good link and Mr. Fisher keeps it close to layman's terms....

Wonder how popular it is AND how many people tried it and decided to remove it?

#11 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 07:39 AM

"Faster Ff's" Page Load Timer(this posts #9TMacK) is a nice feature although I do not see any appreciable speed increase. Maybe because I already implemented "Raw"'s "about config" adjustments from the link in post#8 here. Whatever the case may be...Ff is so much quicker than IE.

#12 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hi 1Bart,
The changes had already been made via about:config,so if you have now installed Fasterfox,you won't notice any difference in page loading speed.

If you do end up having problems with "Errors Loading Web Sites",my advise W/B to undo the about:config changes having to do with Pipelining and uninstall Fasterfox,then either enable Pipelining or install Fasterfox again...but don't do both.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#13 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 04:45 AM

Weeeeellllll......I had both installed. SO uninstalled BOTH and just went with the add-on "FasterFox 2.0.0 - as what would seem the proper thing to do AND seems to be browsing along nicely...TY

While browsing about MozillaZine, I partially printed a question/answers from Jack D Ripper. on 1-4-07 and L. A. R. Grizzly said to add a code to the user.js file.
/* Speed Settings */

user_pref("network.http.max-persistent-connections-per-server",4);--- I have 8..with FasterFox
" " (content.max tokenizing.time", 200000);--- Cannot find with Fasterfox
" " (content.notify.interval", 100000);--- Cannot find...
" " (content.switch.threshold", 650000);--- Cannot find.....
" " (nglayout,initialpaint.delay", 3300); I have 0 with Ff
" " (network.http.max-connections-per-server", 8) I have 24 with Ff

Do you employ these "additional tweaks" or do you have an opinion on them??

BTW- The original 4 adjustments that I made differed from FasterFox in 2 instances..

network.http.pipelining.firstrequest-- is FALSE with FasterFox

network.http.pipelining.maxrequests-- is 8(with FasterFox), instead of 16(original adjustment)

#14 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2007 - 10:34 AM

Glad you decided to use only one of them.

No,I don't use any of the additional "Tweaks",but perhaps other members do,and can add something here.
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users